Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
2002 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have to change rear drum brake shoes on a 2002. But I'm concerned that the parking brake on this car probably hasn't been used in a long time. Once I install the rear shoes and reassemble everything, how do the rear drums adjust themselves so the shoes have the right clearance to the drum? This thread seems to mention braking in reverse, but also using the parking brake.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f68/how-adjusting-brakes-31697/

Which is it? Can I get the shoes to adjust just by braking in reverse a few times? I want to avoid using the parking brake if possible, because I'm afraid that the cable will bind and lock up the brakes since I don't think it's been used frequently on this car.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts
On my MY'03 there is an adjuster on the rear of the drum; you use a flat blade screwdriver to rotate it. You'll see it when you disassemble the brakes.

2002 Forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kevin Yes, that's how you pull the pads back in order to get the drum off, but generally with most drum brake service you aren't really intended to adjust the new shoes to the drum yourself using that same adjuster. You just adjust them out far enough to easily get the drum back over the shoes when assembling it. There should be a self adjusting mechanism in the brakes. Some cars use the parking brake application to do this, some do it whenever you apply the brakes in reverse, which does the Forester use?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
662 Posts
On my MY'03 there is an adjuster on the rear of the drum; you use a flat blade screwdriver to rotate it. You'll see it when you disassemble the brakes.
What Kevin said. Or use the back up and brake method.

You'll have to disconnect the parking brake line during shoe replacement. that might be a good time to spray the cable and sheath and work the cable to free any resistance.

And if you think you are going to have issues with the old drum parts, for like $10 you can get brake drum kits that have replacement adjuster screw assemblies, springs, pins, retainers, etc. Remember to clean and lube the adjuster screw assembly regardless if you get a kit or not.

·
Administrator
15,128 Posts
An Edit: Note that Australian MY'03 have rear disc brakes and a separate rear drum for the parking brake. Other countries may be different.

Upon reassembly the MY'03 workshop manual says:

ADJUSTMENT
1. SHOE CLEARANCE
1) Remove the adjusting hole cover from back plate.
2) Turn the adjusting screw using a flat tip screwdriver until brake shoe is in close contact with disc rotor. (sic - I guess they mean "drum")
3) Turn back (downward) the adjusting screw 3 or 4 notches.
4) Install the adjusting hole cover to back plate.

2. LEVER STROKE
1) Remove the console box lid.
2) Forcibly pull the parking brake lever 3 to 5 times.
3) Adjust the parking brake lever by turning adjuster until parking brake lever stroke is set at 7 to 8 notches with operating force of 196 N (20 kgf, 44
lb).
4) Tighten the lock nut. Tightening torque (Lock nut): 5.9 N·m (0.6 kgf-m, 4.3 ft-lb)
5) Install the console box lid.

I think my workshop manual is wrong as it specifies the parking brake as auto adjust and the disc brakes as manual adjust; I think it's backwards and perhaps there is no auto adjust for the handbrake?

There is no mention of any other method to adjust the parking brake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts