Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I slow down, I can hear a popping noise that decreases in frequency as my speed does. It's coming from the rear passenger side drum brake. I know this because it does it whether going straight or turning either way (should eliminate CV or bearing issues and it doesn't whine), and only does it when the brakes are being applied. The noise is subtle, but noticeable.

It's a rotational popping too as the time between pops slows down as the car does. Almost like there might be a knick in the drum or something?

And ideas at all? I did the shoes about 3 months ago (put on good shoes too, no cheapies) and have done many shoes before and never had this problem... but I am getting ready to take the car to the mountains for 3 weeks (2000 mile round trip) so I want to make sure it's ok and fix this issue...

Any help appreciated.

I am planning on getting in there Saturday morning, but was curious if anyone had a starting point. Wheel cyls? Uneven brake pads? Chip in the drum? etc...

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know that. But I only have one car right now (wife already has the Outback in the mountains 750 miles from here), so if it was an obvious problem I was gonna drive to the parts store rather than riding my bike after the things apart.

I suppose that's not the end of the world...

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,751 Posts
Nothing obvious there. Most likely drum damage/crack, or debris, or some bolt got loose. Or it's not brakes but CV or loose wheel.

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's not a loose wheel since I checked the lugs first...

CV boots seem OK upon inspection. Will check for loose crap and damage Saturday... thanks for the starting point though!

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for the record....

Took the rear brakes apart. No noticable scarring on the drums. Nothing big except one small nick out of the inside of a pad (not on the contact surface. But, the shoes weren't making full contact, so I had the drums turned, replaced the shoe with the nick in the pad, replaced all the springs, readjusted, and used some brake cleaner.

Problem is now gone. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts