Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a re-post from the old forum of some pics of my rear drawers that were installed a while back. These were designed for the X series by Offroad Systems in Sydney. They took my car for 3 days; fabricated a bar that connects between the 2 tie-down points behind the rear seat to which the drawers are hinged so as to get at the spare wheel well. This also gives back all that space under the drawer usually taken up by the poly packing.
So far they are working really well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
What do you plan to use them for?

Pretty neat.

·
Administrator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One drawer is permanently filled with recovery gear, first aid kit and lighting (torches, fluros). The other varies between camping gear, shopping and somewhere good to lock stuff away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like a neat idea. I could see keeping camping gear down there, you can pull out the esentials without unloading the entire car. Looks kinda like a huge sub. looks like someone took some time putting that all together, nice work

·
Administrator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was very pleased with the results. I now have 2 fridge slides mounted on top of the drawers. One for the ice box and the other for the fridge when need.

·
Registered
1907 Forester
4 Posts
That is pretty sweet! I work out of my Forester doing HVAC side jobs and could use somthing like that. Again very nice.

·
Registered
2006 XTL
61 Posts
I took the plunge had my draws fitted by Offroad Systems last Friday. :D They are very nice. I ended up getting the one fridge slide for it. The engel just fits. The fitted them in about 5 or so hours.

Looking at your pics they are basically the same but they have cut out some holes of the wood on the base to save some weight I suspect.

With the foam removed from the floor it also gives you a bit more room for storage too.

They worked well on the first camping trip but I was just had anything in the draws. I need to work out what's going to belong in there for longer trips.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5 MT
304 Posts
I decided last week to make one for the back of my Forester. I saw them in a Cabelas catalog and said to myself "I can make that!". I'll post pics when I'm done.

I can't justify the $250+ for the store bought variety.

·
Administrator
14,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good on ya Troy! Do they have gas struts underneath? If so I'd like to know brand and model so I can attach some because, yes mbroadhe, they are heavy suckers especially when fully loaded. But with self-leveling struts on Troy's and heavy duty springs on mine they travel just fine.

In the initial design they were supposed to / considered having the holes in the bottom and a hatch lid on top so when you open the drawer you could also access directly underneath without having to raise the whole unit.

·
Registered
2006 XTL
61 Posts
They weigh about 40 kg. They are pretty heavy.

If they only cost $250 from a store I would have bought them as soon as I got the car. Unfortunately these cost quite a bit more than that. I thought about making some up but I thought I would just bodge it up.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Troy + Kevin - I cant make tonight, so I wont get to do the draw comparo with you guys!

·
Registered
2006 forester 4 sp auto
117 Posts
bed+storage

I did something similar with my Cherokee but it has no spare tire underneath,
But you could make it accessible with a little more work.

SIXER
B.C. Can.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts