Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my rear diff oil yesterday....on a 1999 GLS non turbo...
Stated capacity in my little "glovebox" owners manual reckons 0.8ltr...
Drained it and got 1.1ltr out....
Filled it back up and it took exactly 1ltr to obtain the tell tale trickle from the filler plug.....:crazy:
Brain is now fried.... physics doesn't seem to apply to my car:huh:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,391 Posts
On the dead level mine took less than a quart. '08 US Non turbo.

·
Registered
99 Forester
89 Posts
:Banane08: Spot on! Jules, according to my workshop manual:
Rear Axle 0.8 Litre
Manual Gearbox 3.5 Litre
Engine (without filter change) 4 Litres

All I can suggest is the car was not dead level - eg up on ramps and so the rear filler plug is slightly higher.

Jon

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:Banane08: Spot on! Jules, according to my workshop manual:
Rear Axle 0.8 Litre
Manual Gearbox 3.5 Litre
Engine (without filter change) 4 Litres

All I can suggest is the car was not dead level - eg up on ramps and so the rear filler plug is slightly higher.

Jon
Hi Jon
The car was dead level so rear diff remains a mystery.
Mine is an auto box but I did the "front diff" today and the capacity was spot on , full to mark before emptying and filled to mark on re-fill....1.2ltr both ways.
Did an engine oil and filter change today too and that took bang on 4ltr "including" filter change and that included running her up for a few minutes, checking level and a small top up to reach the mark....4ltr on the nose!!!

Going to do the auto trans fluid in the near future so watch this space for another wild fluid capacity....:icon_confused:

Maybe the rear diff on the auto was different to the manual and the handbook is a little generic.....My car is NA...the handbook shows an under bonnet diagram of the NA and the turbo and I seem to have components under the bonnet which are fitted on the turbo but not on the NA....A short fat cannister (fuel related but not the filter )behind the drivers headlight for a start....generic at best I think.
Think I will be doing a shed load of research on my car in the very near future!!!!!!!:icon_biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,391 Posts
Going to do the auto trans fluid in the near future so watch this space for another wild fluid capacity....:icon_confused:
The U.S autotranny will drain about 6 ounces less than 4 Gallons. So that's about 3.7 liters I guess.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going to do the auto trans fluid in the near future so watch this space for another wild fluid capacity....:icon_confused: /QUOTE]
The U.S autotranny will drain about 6 ounces less than 4 Gallons. So that's about 3.7 liters I guess.
I've got a figure of 8.4ltr....or 8.9 US qt....or 7.4 imp qt but thats total capacity, will find out the "drain" quantity soon I guess.

How small is a US gallon????......a UK gallon is about 4.5litres

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
702 Posts
Just out of interest, how did you find getting the plug out of the diff?

I serviced mine a while back but couldn't get the thing out for love nor money!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,391 Posts
You need to use an 18" breaker bar and have the rear end on ramps to get beter leverage. The size of the plug is 13mm. 1/2" will work but 13mm is better.

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
702 Posts
yep, my main problem was getting enough leverage, might have to invest in a set of ramps to do it properly.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,391 Posts
yep, my main problem was getting enough leverage, might have to invest in a set of ramps to do it properly.
Yea even with good leverage..I had to pull my guts out. That sucker is in there. The problem is the aluminum. When you tighten it I personally don't use the 36 ft. lb torque value. I used 28 ft lbs. and last time 25....no leaks.

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I serviced mine a while back but couldn't get the thing out for love nor money!
Didn't have to resort to a long bar....it was pretty tight but came out with a standard length 1/2" drive ratchet....mind you, I do heavy manual work all day on most days and sometimes nights so I've got a bit of grunt behind me.:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
these things are tight. i had to put a big breaker bar on too.

just remember to always take out the filler plug before you take out the drain plug.

if you drain the diff then cant get the filler plug out, youre screwed!..... unless you can turn the car upside down!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts