Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester GLS AWP
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear diff of my 98 MT is leaking, it seems to be all over the casing. Have done some googling and it seems it could be either be breather tube or diff oil seals

Has any one got any pics of where breather is as cant seem to find it

Has anyone changed the half axle oil seals, if so how is it done, can it be done with diff on car any advice and pics would be gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Find where exactly it is leaking. Use brake cleaning spray to get oil off, then check the new leaks (might want to use so water-based paint or sticky powder to cover the diff - exact near the axle seals). Before that, however, open the diff and check what the fluid looks like (i.e., if you see metal soup - no need to look for leaks) and top it off.

The breather is on top-right side of the diff. You can probably see it, but I doubt you'd get much access without dropping the diff (or making a hole in the spare wheel well).

Yes, axles' seals are rather easy to change - you need to lower the diff and pop the axles, then pull and replace the seals (those are not cheap from the dealer, btw).

There should be a thread somewhere with instruction on how to lower the diff (search for posts under my nick and word "diff" in them - the instructions are not mine though).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts