Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a re-post from SF.COM. I'll add pics later.

Completed the install of the diff breather extension using a rubber connector (approx 90mm X 12mm), usually used for the lead of an electric iron, and some 8mm plastic tube. Cut the small end of the connector so that when inserted into the breather hole, it won't bottom out; then insert it into the breather hole (a bit fiddly - but persevere). Remove the RHS strut cap and feed the tube down behind the trim and through the existing hole in the floor (cut a hole in the rubber plug). (I found it difficult to simply push the tube behind the trim by itself, so I fed a plastic snake through first then pushed the tube down beside the snake.) Under the floor, the tube runs above the fuel tank filler, then on top of the rear sub-frame, through the cut hole in the rear sub frame & down to the breather.

Leave the tube long so that it can be pulled through the holes previously cut in the wheel well and rear sub-frame. Lightly coat the tube end with liquid soap and insert into the end of the connector ensuring that it doesn't bottom out (I used some masking tape wrapped around the tube to indicate the limit of travel into the connector). Test for a complete seal by blowing/sucking into the open end of the tube. Pull any excess tube back through the floor and up beside the strut tower. Cut the tube so there is sufficient to run the open end up behind the rear quarter panel trim a little (I did this simply in case there is any oil odour).

Because everything is a push fit, I have not sealed the tube or the connector with silicone or similar with the thought that should I need to replace the diff oil, I can simply remove the breather, insert a funnel and pour the oil in, rather than have to hand pump it in from under the car.

THE HOLE (for X series).
The hole in the wheel well is approx 40mm. Suggest a 35mm hole in the sub-frame. Tape up the wheel well wall to protect the surrounding area before drilling. The centre of the hole is 18mm off-centre towards the RHS and approx 95mm from the bottom of a straight-edge placed across the top front of the wheel well. Drill holes at 90 degrees to the face of the wheel well (i.e. the drill bit angled down). Drill a pilot hole through both the wheel well and rear sub-frame then review the positioning from under the vehicle. The position of the completed hole needs to be under the corner fold of the sub-frame, so as not to weaken it, and sufficiently above the sub-frame holes that support the diff in order not to weaken that area either. Be careful not to let the drill bit travel too far after drilling the hole or you might drill a hole through the breather, or worse still, put a hole in the diff!

PS: I've since heard that you may achieve removal of the old breather and insertion of the new setup without having to cut the holes as above. Now that I know how it's done and how everything fits, it may just be possible to do it without the holes - which would be preferable.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Thanks Kevin! I've got to do this soon, and the trans and front diff as well.

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS: I've since heard that you may achieve removal of the old breather and insertion of the new setup without having to cut the holes as above. Now that I know how it's done and how everything fits, it may just be possible to do it without the holes - which would be preferable.

Several folks in the local Subie club have recently done this by dropping the rear diff a little to gain access.

·
Registered
2002 ForesterMY02 Limited 5sp Manual
111 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble dropping the diff? I get the nuts off but thats as far as I manage to get?
I haven't tried before and relatively new to the whole subie scene, so I'm probably just missing something super basic, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

·
Administrator
16,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've not done it but the manual simply says: "Remove the self-locking nuts and bolts." with a picture from the rear showing the 2 bolts above the filler plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts