Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have just had the front toe in adjusted on my 2000 Forester and has made a big diffreence to the handeling, feels less floaty if that makes sense?

I asked the shop to check the rears too, but they were unable to find a mechanism to do this. My manual says that the rear is controlled by a cam bolt on the link.

I have done a search on this forum, and folk are talking about cam bolts to make the adjustment.

Could someone explain the process?

Thanks

Chris.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
You can't adjust camber in the rear unless you have after market camber bolts. The two bolts for the rear struts are straight bolts, not eccenctric. They use a cam bolt that connects the rear lateral links to the the rear cross member to adjust toe for the rear.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Just buy camber bolts...
+1
You can get camber bolts from around 30-60$ I belive.
What difference there is besides the price I'm not sure. I went for the cheap option from HodgesSubaru. The ones from around 30 bucks.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
Only buy camber bolts if you NEED them!

Increasing rear camber increases rear end grip and therefore increases understeer, I have circa .3deg -ve at the rear, car still understeers so not increasing camber at all!

Simon

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Only buy camber bolts if you NEED them!

Increasing rear camber increases rear end grip and therefore increases understeer, I have circa .3deg -ve at the rear, car still understeers so not increasing camber at all!

Simon
I have -1.5 front and -1.0 R with no problems (tire wear is ok, too). Lift-off oversteer on demand, and powerslides under right circumstances. Only understeers if I do something really stupid (e.g., sharp turn-in under power on rough surface).

I have Swifts (and 21/20mm F/R sway bars), but I think -1.5 (or close) is doable on stock suspension with stock chamber bolts. -1.0 F / -0.5(0.75) R should be decent and more balanced for "normal" driving, but less overall grip.

If you (the OP) have smaller rear stabilizer (sway), you'd need more contrast in chamber (e.g., -1.5 Front / -0.5 rear). And always 0 toe.

Also a lot depends of the tires you have, and the way you drive. With just -0.2 rear camber I was wearing the outside edge of stock (crappy) tires badly...

·
Registered
2002 Forester SF5 S Turbo
4 Posts
Hi, My rear wheels have positive camber, how can I make them have 0%. In the GC, one bolt of two lateral links by side is a eccentric, what impeded correcting the sag. In SF5 2002 is the same?

thnks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts