Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rear calipers is binding.

I just got hold of another pair of rear calipers cheap but they are slightly different to those fitted.

I currently have the 2 bolt single pots with solid disks, the new ones are 1 bolt (with a slider pin the other side) single pots with vented disks.

I also have the caliper carriers, pads and disks that go with the new calipers but will they fit on ok? (They look to be about the same size, just don't want to waste my time taking the car to bits if they wont go on)

Cheers, Dan

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,795 Posts
Any idea what the "NEW" ones came off?

Sounds as if they may be early (<97) Impreza ones.

Pictures would be helpful.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off an early impreza - think the lad I bought them off said they were from an M-reg.

Will get some pics up soon

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,795 Posts
Dan,

Clean looking calipers.

Following a quick check, the early 94 impreza and the 03XT "seem" to end up with the same disk "superceded by" part no.
The "vented" disks would appear "after market".

Disks should be approx 266mm diameter.

The easiest way to check fitting, would be to take a wheel off and measure the mounting hole bolt spacing and then take a couple of measurements off the corresponding supports.
You only need to undo one bolt to swing the existing caliper out of the way to check.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im pleased with the way the calipers turned out. They were in a right state when I got them - the car they came off had been sat for a while, then when the brakes were removed they were left sat in the back of a barn for quite a while (shame I didn't get any pre-refurb pics!)

I stripped off and cleaned all the seals (all of which were in good condition) and removed the pistons. The metal parts were then left in a bucket of chemical cleaner for 24 hours. Once cleaned up I found that the pistons are actually stainless (couldn't see them before for all the muck) Painted with an anti-rust coating then top coat in gloss black. Rebuilt and greased up ready to go!

The disks are definatly vented - I would have thought the mouth on the calipers would have been a bit wider to take the thicker disk? Diameter is approx 266mm as stated

Il get the car jacked up and try them for size soon - I have had the rear caliper bolts out recently so should come off easily. Only thing Im not 100% on is the rear disk removal - anyone got some pics?

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,795 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realise the rear disks came off as easily as that. The caliper carriers in the video look almost identical (apart form the bolt fixings)

I think the 'new' calipers must have come off an import looking at this:

Subaru Impreza Turbo Import 1 Pot Caliper Rear Vented Disc 92 to 98

I have just got some new seals from this site for my impreza's 4 pots - prices seem reasonable though watch out for postage prices as it is often cheaper to order 2 items seperatly!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update on this.

Trial fitted the 'new' disks/calipers today and they fit ok.

The vented disks are really rough so need to invest in some new ones now.

Not a bad little upgrade then really!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts