Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Impreza WRX 5 speed manual
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After 13 years of abuse, I decided it was time to replace the battle-scarred rear bumper on my 1998 Forester. I ended up finding that the bumper mounting plate on the passenger side is nothing but rust, if that, and the beam behind the bumper is bent on the passenger side and rusted through at the bottom. The whole beam shows signs of rust as well. The plate will be easy enough to replace since it's bolted on. What I'm worried about is the main beam. At least one of the connection points for the bumper is rusted away. How vital is this beam? Do I have to worry about getting it repaired, or should I just cover it up?

LIP89

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Well, it is the main bumper. I'd say it's reasonably important. That part may not be terribly hard to find used in a U-Pull-It yard in better shape than yours (provided you can get out of NJ/NY/NE PA area). You can also search for one on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. Expensive new.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's finally done! A new bumper beam, new bumper mounting plate, and most importantly, a new bumper! The license plate lights and the mudflaps have already been swapped over and the bumper installed. All of the clips are in permanently except for 5 that the dealer forgot to order. All I have left is the "Forester" step pad on top and two pop rivets that can't possibly work since the holes are too big. I can't even describe how nice it is to look at the back of the car without seeing all kinds of scratches and gashes all over the place.

LIP89

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And, all done! I installed the last 5 clips today as well as 2 others for the mudflaps. The rear step pad is held on with a strip of double-sided sticky foam tape and several Command strips. The Command strips aren't working very well. In any case, it's done.

LIP89

1 - 6 of 6 Posts