Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got in a small fender bender the other day. this guy ran into me at a stop sign and did some minor damage to my rear bumper. On the running light its pressed slightly in and the attached pic shows a small hole punched in what is the under-guard i assume.. insurance guy just cut me an estimated check for $650 and told me if it costs more they would pay it.. the damage is neglegible but i would like to get it fixed.. opinions are welcomed weather to replace the bumber or just fix it.. i highly doubt there is structural damage inside the actual bumper.... in non-OEM a viable option?

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
Since the piece that was punched out is still there, I'd glue a patch to the backside of the bumper cover and press the tab into the glue-covered patch.

Then I would use some Mother's Back-to-Black and polish the cover ... as well as the bumper protector on top of the bumper and all the other rubber/vinyl surfaces on the exterior. You'll remove all the scrapes and scratches and be amazed at how much better your vehicle will look.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the piece that was punched out is still there, I'd glue a patch to the backside of the bumper cover and press the tab into the glue-covered patch.

Then I would use some Mother's Back-to-Black and polish the cover ... as well as the bumper protector on top of the bumper and all the other rubber/vinyl surfaces on the exterior. You'll remove all the scrapes and scratches and be amazed at how much better your vehicle will look.
thanks for the reply... i think im just going to go to the bodyshop to see what they say.. i had a coworker look at it and he noticed the metal surrounding the gas tank was bent slightly.. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
thanks for the reply... i think im just going to go to the bodyshop to see what they say.. i had a coworker look at it and he noticed the metal surrounding the gas tank was bent slightly.. better safe than sorry
Uh, I thought the gas tank was under the rear seats. I'm not sure how it could be damaged, but then I've been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
656 Posts
Looking from underneath the car, sometimes the spare tire area looks like a fuel tank.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
THat little hole will require you to replace the entire bumper. I wouldn't bother. I'd get this and call it a day. I have the same piece and I plastidipped it black. Take the remaining cash and run.

·
Registered
2010 XT Limited 4EAT
1,447 Posts

This, especially since it is matte plastic and will get dirty easy as long as there is no structural damage you will never even notice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THat little hole will require you to replace the entire bumper. I wouldn't bother. I'd get this and call it a day. I have the same piece and I plastidipped it black. Take the remaining cash and run.

do you have a link to that part? I think Im just going to do this.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited 4-speed automatic
450 Posts
I wish Subaru made the bumpers sturdier, with more of the impact beam covering the bumper (and not too much skirt material with nothing underneath).

Now you'll need to get the front bumper cover to match the rear...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
I have my rear plastidipped black while I wait for a good deal in the front. At least the black blends with the foglight area better than the silver.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

i installed it and plastidipped as well... did not like the color it came in... blown away this part is actually $200... what a rip... but then again better than replacing the bumper :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts