Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forrester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to ask if possible:
---to install the Rear Bumper Cover yourself?
(trying to avoid dealer labor charges.)

---to purchase elsewhere?

---better/superior substitute?

advance thanks:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
It's actually quite straight forward. Tuned pics pretty much show the stuff you need to pop off exterior wise, but you'll also need to remove the plastic trim around the trunk catch at the spare tire area. If your new bumper doesn't come with the small metal parts to connect the bumper cover to the body, you will need to transplant them and improvise with new screws or rivet again if you have the capability.

·
Registered
2010 Forrester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
probably mis-read:

I was referring to the rubbery material to place on top of the rear bumper
$50 worth

not the $200 aluminum(???) under-bumper guard.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
OOOHhh... this thing:

So simple.. just make sure you clean the area with some light car wash soap (NOT DISH WASHING LIQUID) and then alcohol. The piece has double sided tape on the back that you just peel off and stick on. Make sure to measure to get it dead center... at least that's how we do it with the gen before yours but I assume yours can't be much different.

·
Registered
2010 Forrester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks neoshi :woohoo:

Is there a vendor here that ships free....I'm trying to avoid the tax...

recession

:catfight:

love the smiley here

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Mmm free shipping I don't think so.. but tax free yep.. you can purchase from Jackie @ Annapolis Subaru (she's a vendor here so she gives discounted rates)

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Turbo
58 Posts
Just added a Rear Bumper Guard to my 2004 FXT without help. Very easy to install; I used CVS Rubbing Alcohol Wipes to clean bumper then wiped clean again with paper towel and water and let dry. After removing the Guards tape tabs simply stick to bumper! Be careful though, I dropped the Guard while trying to line it up and lucky for me it was almost perfect when I dropped it onto the bumper. :woohoo: Once the Guard touches the bumped it won't move! After you apply Guard sit on it! Yes you and a friend should sit on the Guard to apply pressure to assure proper adhesion. Also make sure its a hot day; 80F and apply after bumper has been in the sun a while.
Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 X
212 Posts
Being a drummer...I think its a good idea for me to invest in one of these.....getting the drums and hardware in and out of the car is GOING to ruin the paint.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I'd just like to point out: even for the not so mechanically inclined I've found MOST aftermarket Subaru parts are easily installed on the SH's EXCEPT the rear spoiler, that darn template was nowhere near accurate on the holes.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I'd just like to point out: even for the not so mechanically inclined I've found MOST aftermarket Subaru parts are easily installed on the SH's EXCEPT the rear spoiler, that darn template was nowhere near accurate on the holes.
Yeah it's the same for the SG and SF. The template doesn't sit on the curves nicely. I ended up with a slotted hole on one lol.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
I actually slotted 2 of the holes but forgot to drill the left one luckily then just lined it up and scratched the paint where the hole was supposed to go. Stupid template.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
OOOHhh... this thing:

So simple.. just make sure you clean the area with some light car wash soap (NOT DISH WASHING LIQUID) and then alcohol. The piece has double sided tape on the back that you just peel off and stick on. Make sure to measure to get it dead center... at least that's how we do it with the gen before yours but I assume yours can't be much different.
I'm not really sure but almost positive.........that piece requires you to drill holes in the bumper cover so that you can add a metal mounting bracket/plate to the rear bumper cover. It also uses 2 sided tape. Realize that if this ever gets removed it will leave hole's in the bumper cover to be dealt with. Also, another member got hit back there and had a real tough time straightening the metal mounting bracket to get the cover to mount flush and you cannot just order the mounting bracket/plate. They needed to order another complete unit....bummer. It's not the same as the front, which just uses 2 sided tape and clips. My response only applies to the SH not sure about the SF, SG.

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I'm not really sure but almost positive.........that piece requires you to drill holes in the bumper cover so that you can add a metal mounting bracket/plate to the rear bumper cover. It also uses 2 sided tape. Realize that if this ever gets removed it will leave hole's in the bumper cover to be dealt with. Also, another member got hit back there and had a real tough time straightening the metal mounting bracket to get the cover to mount flush and you cannot just order the mounting bracket/plate. They needed to order another complete unit....bummer. It's not the same as the front, which just uses 2 sided tape and clips. My response only applies to the SH not sure about the SF, SG.

Are you talking about the metal portion on the lower portion? I think the OP and I were talking about the black plastic portion that protects against scrapes on the flat surface but maybe there is something different about it now that I didn't realize. Let us know! :Banane35:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Just follow the instructions it comes with. You'll get better results on a warm day. You can use the arrows to locate it or just dry fit it and use a grease pencil or something to draw guide lines for the sides.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT Turbo
58 Posts
That bumper cover (on the 09) has a little arrow in the middle. Match that arrow with the arrow inside, when the hatch is open. Piece of cake to install!
The Rear Bumper Guard for the 04 also had a little center mark arrow.:rock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts