Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here heard of or actually tried to fit a 10mm steel ring in a stock STi rear rotor to overcome the emergency brake problem? The STi have 190mm I.D. hats and a WRX has 170mm I.D hats as your probably aware. The 10mm thick steel ring would fill the gap.
Any thoughts or sugestions welcome.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
The two currently available options on the market are a custom rotor or a custom brake shoe. I've never heard nor seen someone address make a ring to go into the rotor.

The custom shoe is probably the better solution letting you use just about any compatible rotor.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
The shoes are the best idea IMO, it's a shame they cost a FORTUNE for no good reason.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
927 Posts
Well there is a good reason they are so dear. They are custom items, and will pretty much never need to be replaced again.
Godspeed brakes in the UK do them: godspeedbrakes.co.uk
I'll be getting mine from there once I get my rears.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
Well there is a good reason they are so dear. They are custom items, and will pretty much never need to be replaced again.
Godspeed brakes in the UK do them: godspeedbrakes.co.uk
I'll be getting mine from there once I get my rears.
Did you call me dear?

And custom or not, they aren't difficult to make. You take a standard model brake shoe, and bolt a thicker pad material to it. Not rocket science, and had I the means of accomplishing this, I'd simply make my own.

I don't, so I have to spend $400USD for shoes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my idea would be a lot cheaper. There used to be shops years ago that would rel-ine brake shoes. I don't suppose there is much call for those services these days.

·
Registered
2000 Forester S Turbo Manual
927 Posts
Did you call me dear?

And custom or not, they aren't difficult to make. You take a standard model brake shoe, and bolt a thicker pad material to it. Not rocket science, and had I the means of accomplishing this, I'd simply make my own.

I don't, so I have to spend $400USD for shoes.
No sweetheart :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure its more difficult than you describe, otherwise there would be everybody doing it, and certainly a DIY mod would have hit the forums by now.

The caliper mounting brackets are easier to make, but I suspect you already know that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No sweetheart :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure its more difficult than you describe, otherwise there would be everybody doing it, and certainly a DIY mod would have hit the forums by now.

The caliper mounting brackets are easier to make, but I suspect you already know that.
Where abouts in Essex are you? I used to live in Canvey Island, Basildon, Billericay and Stanford-No-Hope.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
I've come up with a few designs for caliper brackets myself, but they are cheap enough from Kartboy that they aren't worth the time to actually mill on my own.

The pads are fairly simple. There are plenty of brake pad re-liners you can find online. One could simply purchase a pair of e-brake shoes from a local parts store, ship them off to get relined, swap them out and keep the stockers if you ever want to return to stock.

Brand new OEM shoes are around $50usd, and relining services are around the same if not a little less. So for just under or around $100usd you can have adapter parking brake shoes.

Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've come up with a few designs for caliper brackets myself, but they are cheap enough from Kartboy that they aren't worth the time to actually mill on my own.

The pads are fairly simple. There are plenty of brake pad re-liners you can find online. One could simply purchase a pair of e-brake shoes from a local parts store, ship them off to get relined, swap them out and keep the stockers if you ever want to return to stock.

Brand new OEM shoes are around $50usd, and relining services are around the same if not a little less. So for just under or around $100usd you can have adapter parking brake shoes.

Not a bad deal.
This method would certainly reduce the potential extra rotational mass.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
And make rotor replacement pretty easy.

I got a reply from a relining company. It's actually $100 to get the pads re-lined. So that makes the whole proceedure $150usd. Still not terrible. You can generally pick up adapters for a good deal if you are willing to wait for a deal to come up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's a company in Canada called Apro Machining/Q-Rack who make a bracket for the Brembo's but they also fit FHI 2 pots as well. They're also made from a better quality Aluminium then the kartboy units. They are available through Can Jam racing for $229CDN

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
There was actually a company that used to make a ring that fit inside the ebrake drum on sti rotors to fit the wrx. It hasn't been available for a few years though. Pretty sure they just pressed an iron ring in.

·
Registered
2008 STI 6 Speed
48 Posts
I made the brackets and adaptor rotor kit that many of you have seen/used.

The bracket was harder than it looks - kind of a 10 pounds in a five pound bag type of thing.

I also spoke w/ Porterfield about the thicker e-brake shoes. They didn't like it due to the excessive curve. Not sure exactly how bad that is -

So I had DBA make the rotors. They are a bit heavy - and a few more $$ than I hoped but there are issues w/ park brake drum of the STi rotor sealing around the 170mm park brake. Some rotors have interference there - and it's not quite right.

I did make my best effort to make sure the bracket is perfect (pad hits rotor correctly - not 'above' the rotor edge like I have seen.)

Can't post pics yet -

1 - 20 of 26 Posts