Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the MOT and the fozzie passed.

Had an advice note with the pass certificate. It stated pitting on the shoes and slight wear on the pads.
(After last year where they said the same thing about the front pads and the pads had plenty of wear left after I checked them)

I think I can check /change the rear pads but could do with an idiots guide on how to do the brake shoes.

Any pointers in the right direction appreciated.

ubdai

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Just had the MOT and the fozzie passed.

Had an advice note with the pass certificate. It stated pitting on the shoes and slight wear on the pads.
(After last year where they said the same thing about the front pads and the pads had plenty of wear left after I checked them)
"Slight wear on the pads"..? What the **** does that mean !!!

My dealer kept telling me this bull**** every year until finally I got them to tell me exactly how much was left on the pads - I was told 20%. Got another year out of them !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
Shoes as in handbrake shoes? Never heard of an MOT station checking them. They normally just check it works, as they would have to take the wheel off, take the rear caliper off and take the brake disc off to the see the shoes. Do you mean dics or is yours a non -turbo?

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Ubdai,

Changing the shoes is pretty simple on a S-Turbo but there are a few things to keep in mind.

On the back of the hub (s) there is a little black rubber gromet, take this off & you can just about make out an adjust wheel inside the actual hub, this wheel adjusts the shoes inside the disc. It's a right pain to adjust because of the angle i ended up using a really long piece of flat metal so i could get some leverage on it.

If the rear disc doesn't come off easily even with the use of a 10mm bolt (can't remember if it's 10 or 12mm) to pull the disc off the hub then you need to loosen off the adjust wheel completely. If you try to use force to remove the disc there is a good chance you'll damage the hold down spings/clips etc which is a right mare if your local dealer doesn't stock the parts! You'll know if the pads are still binding because you'll hear the pad springs flexing!

Of course remember to let the hand brake off!

Give yourself loads of time, about one & a half hours per side minimum. It's not a difficult job just time consuming.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
lesteague, when you mention pad springs flexing, does this sound like a creaking as this is what I am getting on mine.

cheers, mike

·
Registered
03 Audi
238 Posts
Hi Sheffscoob,

Sorry for the late reply, once you have adjusted the brake pad adjuster (inside the hub) to the lowest setting you should be able to use a bolt (10/12mm bolt) to push the disc off the hub.

The creaking shouldn't be present as there should be know way the pads could actually grip the inside of the disc! However if one of the springs or hold down clips have broken then it is posible one of the brake shoes is catching the inside of the disc which would cause the creaking.

If that is the case ensure you have the brake pad adjust adjusted to the lowest settings possible (and the hand brake is off), use a bolt in the disc to pull it off the hub & then use a little force to pull the disc off (don't use a hammer) some gentle pulling should be enough.

The one thing I would say is if the hand break pads feel a little sloppy then try adjusting the hand brake adjuster (mounted on the handbrake which can be seen if you remove the plastic covering) & adjust the brake pad adjuster in the hub slightly. If the wheel it's self is hot to the touch after driving it could suggest one of two issues, component failure inside the hub or caliper is on the way out!

When mine went last year I did the brake pads & found component (hold down clip failure) & then about six weeks later the caliper died. Brakes work fine today though.

·
Registered
2001 S Turbo Auto
488 Posts
Cheers for the reponse leateague, most comprehensive. Will report back once I've done investigated, many thanks again.

mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts