Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having me here on the forums!!!

I came home early this morning and notice my brake lights on the SuuBee were on without my pressing the brake pedal. I can also hear a clicking noise in the shifter area when i do depress the brake pedal. The spoiler brake light works but the rear brake light are stuck in the on position with the brake pedal disengaged. Im thinking some type of relay or control unit for the rear lights may be out. Any help is appreciated

1997 JDM Subaru Forester c\20
83000 KM

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
trailer wiring?
Welcome

What he's implying is a lot of brake light issues are traced to poor connections with wiring for trailers due to corrosion and grounding. Remove your spare and trace the wires as they go to the taillights looking for corrossion or split wires. Even if you don't have trailer wiring a lot of the problems are traced to this area as the spare wheel well can trap a lot of moisture.
The clicking you here is related to the transmission/neutral interlock engaging
Good luck let us know what you find

·
Registered
1997 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No corrosion in wiring

So i checked the suubees spare tire compartment and it is clean as a whistle back there. i have a wire connecting to my taglamp, i checked it too to make sure that it didnt have anything to do with it. Other than that i didnt notice any wiring issues...the protective tap is still intact and all...no damages.

are there any repair manuals available for JDM Foresters?

Thanks

1997 JDM Subaru Forester c\20
83000 KM

·
Registered
1997 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Solved!!!!

As it turns out...the problem wasnt even a problem...there is a switch located right on the top of the steering column which allows you to leave the low voltage lighting on while the car is off without the keys in it...boy do i feel stupid!!!...i was tearing apart the shifting column area!!!!
Thanks Guys !!!!! I appreciate the warm welcome!!!!

Also i have a 1986 300ZX NA back in the states as well

1997 Subaru Forester c\20
83000 KM

·
Registered
1997 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is that what it is!!!! LOL!!!! man im pretty new to these JDM suubees all i know is i love this thing in the snow...how does the switch work? Do you know what is for?

1997 Subaru Forester c\20 JDM
83000 KM

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,081 Posts
I had wondered whether that might have been your problem, but it would also have turned on the front parking lights and you hadn't said anything about them.

Well, now you've survived the initiation and are a full fledged member here! I see you've already found our poll on the subject and left your tale of woe there. Your confession!

That switch was common on all Subies, though I think it's gone away or been significantly modified on the SH (2009+) model Foresters. It turns on the parking lights, and they're called parking lights because their purpose is to illuminate the car's existence when parked in a dangerous dark location with the keys (and the driver) removed. This was at one time the law in some European countries and might still be. It easily traces back to before the invention of blinkers, and possibly all the way back to the beginning of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts