Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 Forester has 91, 000 miles on it and has developed a very LOUD noise in the rear when driving....

Its sounds like a loud hum/wooshing/whirring noise. Kind of sounds like if a disc rotors would have 1 single rough spot and it would make noise when the pads go over that rough spot. Its very loud and sound kind of scary when driving, im thinking wheel bearings or stuck rear brakes (has drum brakes). Any second opinions/tests I could do?

if it is the bearing I will be swapping to disc brakes, is there a bearing DIY on this site? And what do I need to buy?

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
My 99 Forester has 91, 000 miles on it and has developed a very LOUD noise in the rear when driving....

Its sounds like a loud hum/wooshing/whirring noise. Kind of sounds like if a disc rotors would have 1 single rough spot and it would make noise when the pads go over that rough spot. Its very loud and sound kind of scary when driving, im thinking wheel bearings or stuck rear brakes (has drum brakes). Any second opinions/tests I could do?

if it is the bearing I will be swapping to disc brakes, is there a bearing DIY on this site? And what do I need to buy?
that sounds like a wheel bearing to me, you can confirm that its not the brakes by jacking up the rear of the car (in neutral and chock the front wheels!) and try to spin the tire...

I just did a rear wheel bearing a couple months ago, it wasn't a terrible job but it did require some special tools (Slide hammer and bearing press) and some patience, its not as easy as changing brakes...

Most shops seem to charge ~ 400-500...

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sounds like a wheel bearing to me, you can confirm that its not the brakes by jacking up the rear of the car (in neutral and chock the front wheels!) and try to spin the tire...

I just did a rear wheel bearing a couple months ago, it wasn't a terrible job but it did require some special tools (Slide hammer and bearing press) and some patience, its not as easy as changing brakes...

Most shops seem to charge ~ 400-500...
My mechanic told me if I bought the brake setup from him it was going to be $350 for all the brakes parts, bearings and labor.

Problem is the bearings are $45 each and I found a guy willing to sell me the rear setup for $120 so $210 total, but I would have to do the labor...

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
My mechanic told me if I bought the brake setup from him it was going to be $350 for all the brakes parts, bearings and labor.

Problem is the bearings are $45 each and I found a guy willing to sell me the rear setup for $120 so $210 total, but I would have to do the labor...
350 seems like a good price for all that to me, im guessing that is too replace the drum brake parts and not swap to disc? I am perfectly happy with my drum brakes in the rear but I don't do anything crazy with my car...

you would also need 3 seals, forget how much they are...and a bearing press kit, i got mine at harbor freight for 70$, and you'll need a slide hammer which you can rent at autozone for free...

good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
350 seems like a good price for all that to me, im guessing that is too replace the drum brake parts and not swap to disc? I am perfectly happy with my drum brakes in the rear but I don't do anything crazy with my car...

you would also need 3 seals, forget how much they are...and a bearing press kit, i got mine at harbor freight for 70$, and you'll need a slide hammer which you can rent at autozone for free...

good luck

Actually its $350 including all the parts to swap to disc...

I can get the same for $210 though...

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
I just had my RH Rear wheel bearing replaced yesterday, it cost me $350.00 AUD all up, bearing - seals & 2 hrs labour at my Subaru Shop, not a dealership but a Subaru Service Center that are Subaru orientated and a whole lot cheaper than a "stealership".

Mine had made that droning noise for the past 5 mths but it was limited to the 60 & 80 km/h marks on the speedo outside of those it was quiet ........ as it is now. :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
My 07 was making some drive train noise. Took to the dealer yesterday and they replaced the left rear wheel bearing under warranty. Car only have 33K miles. Do not know what happened. I bought the car used under with under 12K miles from a dealer. Have no clue how the previous owner treat the car.

Thanks for Byers Subaru in they did everything under warranty. They also said my transfer gear is making noise and will replace it under warranty. Hopefully that was it. The gear have to be special ordered but they have the rear wheel bearing in stock which means they have to replace it pretty often.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I jacked both rear wheels up and neither of them spin freely. it has quite a bit of resitance and once you stop touching it it stops instantly. Does this mean it is my drear drums? I did get a brake smell a while back lol. Opinions?

·
Registered
03 Forester X
136 Posts
I jacked both rear wheels up and neither of them spin freely. it has quite a bit of resitance and once you stop touching it it stops instantly. Does this mean it is my drear drums? I did get a brake smell a while back lol. Opinions?
you can adjust the drum brakes through a portal hole... I would pull the wheels and take the drum off and see whats goign on in there... if the drum doesn't want to come off easily (make sure the ebrake is off) then you may have to adjust them (loosen) first...

report back what you see...if you can loosen the brakes enough so they aren't rubbing you will be able to tell if your noise is still there when you drive it...ie. brakes or bearings...

Good luck

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can adjust the drum brakes through a portal hole... I would pull the wheels and take the drum off and see whats goign on in there... if the drum doesn't want to come off easily (make sure the ebrake is off) then you may have to adjust them (loosen) first...

report back what you see...if you can loosen the brakes enough so they aren't rubbing you will be able to tell if your noise is still there when you drive it...ie. brakes or bearings...

Good luck
Were is this portal hole? Thanks guys :biggrin:

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
If your 99 have rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) you will need to jack all 4 corners. You will feel resistance from the LSD and the center diff. The front are definitely open diff so it will spin freely even if you just jack one side but not the rear if you have LSD.

I never check work on subaru drum brakes but the adjuster holes usually either located on the back plate or on the drum itself. You basically have to look for inspection holes that usually covered with rubber plug.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If your 99 have rear Limited Slip Differential (LSD) you will need to jack all 4 corners. You will feel resistance from the LSD and the center diff. The front are definitely open diff so it will spin freely even if you just jack one side but not the rear if you have LSD.

I never check work on subaru drum brakes but the adjuster holes usually either located on the back plate or on the drum itself. You basically have to look for inspection holes that usually covered with rubber plug.
I will check on that. It is a 1999 Forester L, I dont think the L came with LSD did it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts