Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 with 98,686 miles on it. They had the full service record, all of it done at the same dealer it was bought from.

I had it three weeks, and then the engine blew. Spun a rod. I had been driving the car like it was made of glass, you will see my post here I was worried about the HG issue. So I watched the fluids, and never punched it or drove it hard by any means.

Had it towed over 50 miles to the same dealership, it's "home" dealership. That's Williams Subaru of Lansing, Michigan. They confirm, and did the testing and found it does have the oil consumption issue.

Subaru of America won't help.

They want 6k+ for a short block, maybe more depending if the heads have micro fractures. And only a 1 year warranty.

6k on a car I paid 10k for.

I don't have it.

What are some opinions on getting the most value out of it? Repower with a used engine and sell? Part it out? The body is in immaculate condition. It looks new.

This is such a tremendously devastating loss. I am a small business owner in the beginning of year two. I don't have any extra money, I bought the Foz based on my past experience with an Outback and wanting to save money on fuel.

This could ruin me financially, and said without a jot of exaggeration.

I really need some advice guys. I don't know if I can even afford to buy a used engine and have it installed. Am I really going to take a 10k loss on a car I drove for 3 weeks? It's all so surreal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what is reasonable for labor to install, in terms of hours and/or price?

Essentially they're asking 3800-4k+ in labor, it seems. That's got to be over 30 hours? Can that possible be right?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick question @Fremontidae - how comfortable would you be with installing an engine yourself? There are plenty of tutorials/writeups/videos that could walk you through the process. Necessary tools are always a consideration, but most things that are "specialized" can be rented from auto parts stores. Please know that I'm not saying doing an engine swap yourself would be easy...just that it's possible. If you're talking about 4k in labor, it sounds like this may be an option to look at. In case you're not interested in doing it yourself, call other shops around. Maybe try to find a non dealer Subaru mechanic around. If you live where there's snow, there's a Subie mechanic in close proximity to keep all the yabbo's cars going.

As always, we are here to help however we can!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Something doesnt make sense here. An engine doesnt suddenly develop an oil consumption issue. Do you feel that the sellers hid the defect?

Engine replacements arent generally going to be economical from a dealership, you need to talk to private shops.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something doesnt make sense here. An engine doesnt suddenly develop an oil consumption issue. Do you feel that the sellers hid the defect?
That's my issue with the dealer. Both owners have had the service done from the dealer, from which it was originally purchased. Complete and extensive maintenance history. But when they were diagnosing the spun rod is when they did the oil consumption test... I don't know how a car with a known issue like that doesn't get noticed after 8 years and 100k miles of going to the same dealer.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would suggest you take a look at your paperwork.
On a vehicle in that price range, there is usually a warranty, almost always at least 30 days.
I'd check that out first. As far as what they are quoting, you can do a lot better.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My initial though from reading this post...like something was know beforehand but hidden. And can you do an oil consumption test on a shot engine????

Engine replacements arent generally going to be economical from a dealership, you need to talk to private shops.
Listen to those who say this as there are independent shops who will do the same job for much less.

I'd give the dealer as much **** as you can, I'd probably go as far as visiting in person and screaming my lungs out. Don't hold back. And don't let them take you to a room to discuss this, let everyone in the showroom looking at cars know what you're going through. Please take this advice with a grain of salt, but it's certainly your prerogative to go this far.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you get this resolved soon. Then, never go back to that dealer ever again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
you were had, get a lawyer get a used or remanufactured guaranteed engine installed y a non dealer mech shop otherwise you canna afford to just dump it or let it lay there

·
Registered
282 Posts
Man that sucks! My advice would be to make a lot of noise over this issue. If they sold you a lemon, chances are that they knew about the issue. If it is just a random occurrence they should step up and take care of it. And yes, you should have at least a 30 day warranty. If you still get nowhere you may want to threaten to play dirty.

Short story:

Back in the day my old man bought a Corvette, brand new, and it had nothing but problems. Electrical, oil leaks, etc.. After fighting with the folks at GM for a while and getting nowhere. He told them if they did not man up and take care of business, he was going to bring the car back to the dealer and park it on their lot packed to the brim with lemons. Two days later the President of GM called him personally. The day after that a flatbed showed up at the house. No joke. Problem solved.

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did they do a consumption test?
I have no idea. All they said was they were there late working and found it does have the oil consumption issue.

Can they actually do that with a blown engine?

The last owners were buying another Subaru. I hate to use the word collusion these days, but could Subaru be trying to protect their "new car" buyer at my expense?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You stated the Dealer had the full service record for the car...were you provided this? If all oil and filter changes were performed by the dealer, wouldn't an oil consumption issue be detected during these (someone else may be able to answer this.)?

I'm not familiar with service records, and wonder if the oil levels are recorded prior to the replacements....say, a note for a specific oil change stated "Customer's oil level below Low mark, drained oil, replaced oil filter, filled and topped off oil to Full mark." Just going out on a limb here, but of course, this type of info (extremely low oil note) maybe in the dealer and/or mechanic's best interest to leave off the service record. Makes me wonder if a drastically low oil level was detected during one or more of the changes, and the dealer let the previous owner know they may want to replace the car before anything drastic happened. Be nice to know the previous owner and contact them for this information.

Did you get a chance to look at your Purchase Contract?

When the car died, did you check the oil level yourself to know if it was low or not?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have no idea. All they said was they were there late working and found it does have the oil consumption issue.

The last owners were buying another Subaru. I hate to use the word collusion these days, but could Subaru be trying to protect their "new car" buyer at my expense?
Anything is possible...
The thing with the "oil consumption" issue is interesting.
The lawsuit and remedy for excessive oil consumption is a test where the car's oil is changed and then it is owner driven for 1,200 miles and returned.
The oil level is then checked and if it has used 1/3 quart or more during the test, the owner is entitled to a free short block replacement.
How they can say they found that while "they were there late working" seems just a tad dubious... Hmm... I smell bull pucky...

Unfortunately, in your case the free short block replacement scenario doesn't apply - It starts for the FB25's in 2011, not the EJ engine.

The only thing that makes sense (to me) about that statement would be that a (the) prior owner had complained about it.
If that is true, and they failed to disclose it, you may have an actionable case for a lawsuit.
In order to win that, you would need evidence. Ask them (innocently) about what they meant by that and see if you can get anything in writing regarding the issue they noted.

Short of failure to disclose a known problem, your only (legal) recourse is whatever is spelled out in your purchase contract.
The default for a used car sale is AS IS, so if those words are mentioned, or no expressed warranty is spelled out, it's all on you.

That being said, it doesn't mean you can't negotiate with the dealer, and start out nicely to see what you can get.
Save the nuclear warheads as a last option.
If they don't step up, and won't, you should feel good about unloading on the dealership:
Contact Subaru of America, and give them an opportunity to address the issue...
Tell them how much you "appreciate" the dealer screwing you over.
Tell them about your next steps if they decline to assist:
File a Better Business Bureau complaint(s)
Post negative reviews of your actual experience on forum such as this and any other Subaru related sites
Get all of your friends to dribble into the dealership pretending to being interested, and then have them mention they heard bad things...
If you are on the hook for the cost, buy your own short block and get prices from independent WELL REVIEWED (check) shops.
You should save a lot over what the dealer is hoping to ream you out of.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I bought a 2010 with 98,686 miles... the engine blew. Spun a rod... Williams Subaru... found it does have the oil consumption issue. Subaru of America won't help...
... when they were diagnosing the spun rod is when they did the oil consumption test... I don't know how a car with a known issue like that doesn't get noticed after 8 years and 100k miles of going to the same dealer.
How does a dealer do an oil consumption test on an engine that "blew"? The dealer probably just said the engine is in the VIN range for the problem.
Subaru is probably not helping because after two previous owners in 8 years and 98,000 miles, you as the third owner finally let the oil get too low.
Any complaint you have must be with the seller, that second owner who must have been aware of the problem, which they inherited from the first owner who had the "standing" with the dealer and SOA to have the engine replaced long ago.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
27 Participants
garyg7133
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing