Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. The tare (empty) weight of your trailer will be more than the manufacturer/dealer claims. You won't know how much more without weighing the trailer.

2. The stuff you put in your trailer will weigh more than you think. Again, you won't know how much more without either scale weighing everything before you put it on the trailer or weighing the whole thing after loading.

3. The tongue weight of your loaded trailer will be more than you think. You can get an idea of the weight with your bathroom scale. Or, they make actual tongue weight scales if you're above the home scale level. Use a flat level surface for the weighing.

4. The vehicle manufacturers suggestions about trailer weights can be fudged a wee bit depending upon your experience and circumstances. Remember that the manufacturer has a vested interest in you staying alive and your vehicle staying healthy. That is not true of the trailer sales people.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Slushbox
25 Posts
I happen to weigh 190* lbs. And, with my trailer I'm shooting for a tongue weight of just under 200 lbs. So, what I did was stand on my hitch & have someone take a measurement. I've written that measurement on the side of my trailer's hitch.
This way, no matter what I have loaded, I can quickly shift things around to get my ideal tongue weight.

*-Yeah, I know, I know... diet 'n exercise...:icon_rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts