Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
07 FXT
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 FXT here.

just curious how everyone else interprets the oil dipstick. When I check the oil the level is different on each side of the dipstick. I've been assuming that the side that reads lower is due to oil wiping off the stick as it is being removed, thus the "higher" side is more accurate.

This is great in theory until the "low" side gets down by the bottom hole, and the "high" side is closer to 1/2.

Then I start second guessing myself.

Any comments?

Greg

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
It's still not very clear though which side of the dipstick you should trust. The one with the letters L F? This side always reads lower than the other one.
So, if it reads half way between L F on one side it will be at the top notch on the other side. Most people I know fill in the middle L F.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,501 Posts
For me: Oil cold, Pull out and wipe thoroughly. Insert S-l-o-w-l-y (when it is almost inserted) . Pull our and read. If you are gonna try again, Keep the dipstick out for say half-hour. I read the side with the marks. I always keep the oil at "F"

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
If properly inserted you read the side with the markings. Don't be fooled by the level on the sides of the stick, look at the line of oil in the middle.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
In the last oil change I filled 4.5 lt (4.8 quarts) which is the recommended quantity and the oil level is bang in the middle between L - F.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... the oil the level is different on each side of the dipstick... the "low" side gets down by the bottom hole, and the "high" side is closer to 1/2...
The actual level in the sump does not vary from one side of the stick to the other. And the actual oil level in the sump cannot read lower than it actually is. So the lower display on the stick is the accurate one.
To get both sides of the stick to display the same level, remove the stick, wipe it, and set it aside for a few minutes to let the oil it dragged up the pipe to drain back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts