Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Forester Premium 6MT
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2005 w/ the factory Aero cross bar setup, I had taken the cross bars off for awhile and then re-installed them. Now there is way more wind noise at speeds >45 mph than there was before! In fact, it was even quieter inside the car when I had the Yakima cargo box on... or at least it was not as annoying as the higher whistle that I am getting now. It disappears then the cross bars are taken off, so I'm pretty sure that is the cause.

So I guess I'm wondering if there is a front bar and a rear bar? It's been super nasty out so I haven't gotten around to just switching them around to figure it out.

I'm assuming, since they are shaped like a wing in cross-section, that you are supposed to install them with the broader side facing forwards.

Anyone else with a 03-05 or even 06-08 know anything about this?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,245 Posts
The crossbars are always on our Foresters & we don't notice any noise.

Are you driving with the moonroof open? :confused:

The crossbars are different... front & back, the rear one is shorter. The thick side faces forward, like an airplane wing. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
The thick side of an aeroplane wing faces forward in order to gain lift , not the requirement here . For less drag I would have said the thin side should face forward .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts