Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
9 Posts
I traded a 2015 Jeep Renegade in for my Forester 2018 and am very happy with my Forester. The Jeep was a mess. The 9 speed transmission has always been an issue for Jeep. It's noisy and doesn't shift right, on the other hand the CVT transmission of the Forester is smooth and quiet. The Forester's 4 cyl boxer engine is amazing and has as much power and torque as some of the 6 cyls I've had. The Jeep Renegade had a sun roof and it made popping noises for over a year until they finally rebuilt the entire window and the space in the Renegade was WAY too small.
I had a two Honda Elements before the Jeep and loved those cars. I could take the Element just about anywhere. Unfortunately, Honda decided to quit making them and I thought the Jeep would be good replacement but boy was I wrong. I kept looking for something to replace my "much loved" Elements and tried the Subaru just to see what it was like but I didn't really think it would be a car I'd want. After driving one and talking to people that owned Subaru's, I couldn't wait to get mine. In fact, my wife is now driving a 2019 Outback. We have drunk the cool aid, so to speak.
We also have a wonderful Subaru dealer in our area and that one thing can make a big difference in experience of owning any particular vehicle.
Good luck with whatever you decide to get. Life is too short to suffer with crappy cars. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
you need to check hynudai santa fe 2019 you will be suprised about how the cabin is quite and metrial quality. hyundai made very will 8 speed transmission it's quite smooth shifting fron 1st gear to 8th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a '19 Forester Limited when my '04 RAV4 V6 with nearly 300K miles was rear-ended at a stop light by a teenager wearing flip-flops and subsequently totaled by insurance. As a life-long Toyota driver, I was dying because the '20 RAV4s had not landed yet. I have to say I most likely would not go back. I was set on transitioning to the CRV until reading about oil-dilution (who knows?!). For me the outward visibility is the biggest plus - I feel like I'm in a cave when I drive my wife's '16 RAV4. Mixed Driving mpg now 30+ vs. 22.5 for my old car, 23.5 for my wife, '20s RAV4 supposed to be better now. Acceleration loud and a bit sluggish when stomping on the gas, but it does go. Hate whatever it is about rain/hood splash/windshield where my wipers need to be on full speed in a normal rain and my radio still can't remember stations-I use WAZE through Apple carplay for navigation . Also, my old RAV could transport my snowblower upright-not so in the Forester. I think Forester paint colors are boring, but not a deal-breaker for me. Interior far superior to RAVs.
Good morning everyone,

We are in the Market for a new Small CUV. But we are having a really hard time picking the right one for us. The problem is that I Research way to much and it Clouds my judgment.

Rav 4...
We love the style and lunur rock color but feels a bit cheap on the in side. Plus engine is really loud under Regular acceleration. Trans had a shift Problem. ( fixed now) price is a bit high for a xle prem but dealers are will to drop prices.

Crv
We are a big honda fan since the 90's. We are trading out 2010 crv in for a new car. But our car burns crazy amount of oil between oil changes. We could never make 3 month or 3k before vtec is Starting for oil.

Now new crv has a oil Dilution problem. Gonna pass. I have the 16 civic turbo and never smelled a drop of gas in cabin.

Now brings me to the forester. We love everything about it. We really love the sport but hate the Orange accents on the out side of truck. Which brings us the the prem but hate the smaller screen. Then we have the limited but had the price.

Has anyone eles cross shopped these CUV and what made.you pick the forester.

Thanks guy & girls
I picked up a '19 Forester Limited when my '04 RAV4 V6 with nearly 300K miles was rear-ended at a stop light by a teenager wearing flip-flops and subsequently totaled by insurance. As a life-long Toyota driver, I was dying because the '20 RAV4s had not landed yet. I have to say I most likely would not go back. I was set on transitioning to the CRV until reading about oil-dilution (who knows?!). For me the outward visibility is the biggest plus - I feel like I'm in a cave when I drive my wife's '16 RAV4. Mixed Driving mpg now 30+ vs. 22.5 for my old car, 23.5 for my wife, '20s RAV4 supposed to be better now. Acceleration loud and a bit sluggish when stomping on the gas, but it does go. Hate whatever it is about rain/hood splash/windshield where my wipers need to be on full speed in a normal rain and my radio still can't remember stations-I use WAZE through Apple carplay for navigation . Also, my old RAV could transport my snowblower upright-not so in the Forester. I think Forester paint colors are boring, but not a deal-breaker for me. Interior far superior to RAVs.

Hi,
I fell in love with my subaru forrester during the test drive. It's a 4 cylinder that has the pickup of a 6 cylinder and the legroom in the back was awesome (my kids sometimes drive and I like the back seat at that time!) and after going to YOUTUBE and watching the video's of the comparisons between the RAV4/CRV/FORRESTER I went for the Forrester. It has more features than I can honestly say I've used for instance, I cruised right through a snowbank the first winter I got it with no sweat but I've never used the uphill/off-road feature... I live in the city no need for off-road driving. Again, go to Youtube and check out the videos they have all the answers!
Enjoy and I think you'll join us so Welcome!

·
Registered
2017 Forester
127 Posts
I rented the CRV and the RAV4 for 1 week at a time so we could have real-world experience. The Rav4 was nice but we couldn't see over the hood when sitting in it. Plus that stupid front-end looks like it was in a wreck. The CRV seemed really low to the ground like my butt was going to scrape the pavement. Took 1 ride in the Subaru and was sold. Love this car and if I had the money I'd buy 3 more, one for me and one each for the kids... any super-rich people want to help me out let me know LOL.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
298 Posts
I'd looked at the previous generation RAV4 and have driven the previous gen CR-V (a neighbor has had 3).

The Subaru won - hands down - compared to all... Mind you - this was all the previous generation models - I drive a 2014 Forester...

One of the comments said here in this thread is about how "cheap" the RAV4 feels - that was true then, as well. Tinny sounding doors, cheap feeling materials and the styling was too "of-the-moment" for me and - gee, look, they've changed it again... While the Foz isn't fancy or snazzy in that regard, it is very serviceable and usable. I didn't get the infotainment set up - have the standard stereo, no navigation. Works fine. Sounds fine. Is it a high end system like the old Infinity system in my old Town & Country? Nope. But then again, I didn't spend a few grand to get the upgraded system on my Foz. Could it be better? Sure. But for "free" ...? It's more than good.

I never felt comfortable driving the CR-V. The layout was not great and having the gear selector pop out of the lower part of the dash was just weird.

On my Foz - have I had an issue or two? Sure. But nothing that can't be fixed.

My biggest issue - and this was mentioned by somebody above - is about fading paint. I do maintain my vehicle (wash & spray wax weekly) and mostly covered parking. But I do live in the desert of Southern California (near Palm Springs) and the piece of trim on the rear hatch and the rear hatch "spoiler" wing have both shown very definitive fading and oxidation. And my car is just 6 years old.

If you want the styling of the RAV4, go for it. If you want the style of the CRV, go for it. But for the most part, if you want a more solid and stable AWD vehicle (with always on AWD) with no MPG penalty, with no extra cost for the AWD, go with the Foz.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
651 Posts
test drive a Jeep Cherokee
But never EVER buy one. Not unless you want to pay $47,500 when the fuel pump craps itself and destroys the injectors too (warning language, gratuitous sexism):

In Australia Jeep have an appalling reliability record and and an even worse reputation for trying to weasel out of fixing their crap boxes under warranty. Jeep did finally caved under the outraged publicity in this case, but....

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i
36 Posts
I pretty much exclusively owned various Hondas from 1981 on until I bought my 2014 Forester in 2016. Now I'm sold on Subaru. Honda is a nice car but the Subaru AWD is the best and on our rough Minnesota roads the Subaru definitely handles better and feels more "solid". My Subaru mileage is considerably better than my FWD Honda Odyssey even considering the size difference and the Forester is WAY better in the Mn winter.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts