Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

We are in the Market for a new Small CUV. But we are having a really hard time picking the right one for us. The problem is that I Research way to much and it Clouds my judgment.

Rav 4...
We love the style and lunur rock color but feels a bit cheap on the in side. Plus engine is really loud under Regular acceleration. Trans had a shift Problem. ( fixed now) price is a bit high for a xle prem but dealers are will to drop prices.

Crv
We are a big honda fan since the 90's. We are trading out 2010 crv in for a new car. But our car burns crazy amount of oil between oil changes. We could never make 3 month or 3k before vtec is Starting for oil.

Now new crv has a oil Dilution problem. Gonna pass. I have the 16 civic turbo and never smelled a drop of gas in cabin.

Now brings me to the forester. We love everything about it. We really love the sport but hate the Orange accents on the out side of truck. Which brings us the the prem but hate the smaller screen. Then we have the limited but had the price.

Has anyone eles cross shopped these CUV and what made.you pick the forester.

Thanks guy & girls

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
359 Posts
2015 owner,
We skipped Rav 4 for exactly the reasons you mentioned, felt very cheap. The ride wasn't good at all. We didn't even finish the test drive.
CR-V was Ok but Forester's rearview was far better than CR-V. Plus, Honda AWD is not remotely close to Subaru's.
So we got Premium trim (skipped Limited because price and if wanted EyeSight in Limited then we had to pay for Navigation, which I wasn't planning to use. Harmon Kardon didn't sound worth the price.)

I asked this question when I was ready to get Forester, why I should NOT buy a Subaru (or Forester). After owning one for 5 years,
  • Subaru's paint is pretty bad. So unless you are willing to spend time and money to keep it maintained, your paint is going to fade quickly.
  • The infotainment system is a joke (not just the head unit but the speakers as well)
  • AWD is awesome but should you have to change one tire, you have to go looking for a place that will shave the tire or get it shaved from Tire Rack. It's a pain. I don't know how Honda or Toyota AWD works and if their guidance is the same with regards to the tires.
  • If you are into your own maintenance, changing tranny fluid is not easy and most dealerships won't do it. Again, don't know abt the others.
  • Headlights of lower trims are bad. You must go top of the line to get the best headlights. (2019+ folks correct me if I am wrong with the newer Forester)
  • Do not pay for navigation. Unless it is improved now, it is not worth it. Subaru uses HereWeGo's data, which is available for free.
Also, take a look at CX-5, if you don't want AWD and sporty drive.

If I were you, I would ask this question on every board. There are always some gripes about every vehicle, good to know them before than surprises.
If you live in an area where it snows then the first thing I would do is get the vehicle coated with stuff like Fluid Film and get the vehicle professionally detailed with ceramic coated. Yes, thats about 10 benjamins but trust me, its worth it.
(I was suggested against and I didn't do it. In 5 years, there is a good amount of rust is on the underbody.)

·
Registered
2018 SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd CVT
1,449 Posts
I live in the sun-intense desert and I haven't noticed any faded paint on Subarus, mine included. I agree with MoneyJohn's other gripes.
If you do test drive a CX-5 make sure you can live with the poor outward visibility and rear blind spots. Besides a superior AWD system, the other thing that drove me to purchase a Forester was it's excellent outward visibility which I consider a basic low-tech, but important, safety feature.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
312 Posts
Just one of a few videos that may help you decide.
They also did an updated video to showcase the 2019 RAV4; wasn’t impressed (I do own a 2003 RAV4 and still went with aForester Sport).
2019 Mega Comparison

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
219 Posts
The inability to fully extend my legs was a deal-breaker and made my job easy. Subaru's have significantly more legroom than all others in its class. Easy choice.

List what your truly important criteria are, and try hard to ignore the rest.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I live in the sun-intense desert and I haven't noticed any faded paint on Subarus, mine included. I agree with MoneyJohn's other gripes.
If you do test drive a CX-5 make sure you can live with the poor outward visibility and rear blind spots. Besides a superior AWD system, the other thing that drove me to purchase a Forester was it's excellent outward visibility which I consider a basic low-tech, but important, safety feature.
Yea I don't get the weak paint arguement. Have a 2011 Legacy that hasn't been waxed since we bought, paint is fine. My 2014 Flex has more rock chips than the Legacy does.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I beleive the 2019s all come with good LED headlights. Also the NAV data is now TomTom. So far no paint issues here but it's not quite a year old yet. I share none of MoneyJohn's concerns.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
207 Posts
The latest generation CRV actually has a decent AWD system. I just put a deposit on a 2020 Forester Touring. I didn't really the Toyota because most reviews didn't rate it well. I was leaning CRV all along until I realized they are in completely different generations when it comes to features. Admittedly I was looking at top of the line only, but in that trim they aren't really comparable. The forester has better safety features, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, larger infotainment, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a retired ins adjuster, I'm not aware of folks having reflexes good enough in real world scenarios to twist the wheel fast enough to avoid a moose, an elk, a deer, a cow, a horse or whatever large animal that suddenly is 20 feet in front of you. I wrote several thousand estimates over a 30 year period. The one thing I do know is folks here in the northeast are appreciative of a Subaru's AWD performance. There's a newer version of this already posted above my post, this is a decade or so older and shows what most people like.
Besides, Subaru dogs love them and I'm a dog lovin' guy. https://www.ispot.tv/ad/omoe/subaru-forester-dog-tested-national-make-a-dogs-day-t1 I smile every time I see it.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
The latest generation CRV actually has a decent AWD system.
is, it truly AWD, or what they call " active 4WD" whereby the computer senses wheel slip in front, then activates clutches in the rear diff to.get the rears spinning, or transfers some torque through a xfer case to the rear diff?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As an after thought to my previous comments, as an owner of numerous Subarus I used to enjoy explaining to other Subaru owners when I was done writing their estimate, I'd point out the VIN tag on the left strut tower or B pillar or the doors where ever it was to look. Made by FUJI Heavy Industries. I 'd say something like if they can make those huge construction vehicles, earth movers as big as a house etc, I am sure they know what they're doing making a Subaru.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
12 Posts
I looked at RAV4, crv, cx5 and Hyundai Santa Fe in addition to the Forester Limited I purchased. My final 2 were the Forester and the Santa Fe. I actually liked everything about the Santa Fe best except for the lousy gas mileage it gets. That swayed me to the Forester.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
7 Posts
Good morning everyone,

We are in the Market for a new Small CUV. But we are having a really hard time picking the right one for us. The problem is that I Research way to much and it Clouds my judgment.

Rav 4...
We love the style and lunur rock color but feels a bit cheap on the in side. Plus engine is really loud under Regular acceleration. Trans had a shift Problem. ( fixed now) price is a bit high for a xle prem but dealers are will to drop prices.

Crv
We are a big honda fan since the 90's. We are trading out 2010 crv in for a new car. But our car burns crazy amount of oil between oil changes. We could never make 3 month or 3k before vtec is Starting for oil.

Now new crv has a oil Dilution problem. Gonna pass. I have the 16 civic turbo and never smelled a drop of gas in cabin.

Now brings me to the forester. We love everything about it. We really love the sport but hate the Orange accents on the out side of truck. Which brings us the the prem but hate the smaller screen. Then we have the limited but had the price.

Has anyone eles cross shopped these CUV and what made.you pick the forester.

Thanks guy & girls
You went to a Subaru forum, hoping to get honest opinion on which car is best? I, for one, like my Subaru, but the Honda is a better car. Subaru lovers, my apologies, but maintenance and repairs on my Forester is terrible, along with the worst gas mileage...

·
Registered
2019 Limited
10 Posts
I picked up a '19 Forester Limited when my '04 RAV4 V6 with nearly 300K miles was rear-ended at a stop light by a teenager wearing flip-flops and subsequently totaled by insurance. As a life-long Toyota driver, I was dying because the '20 RAV4s had not landed yet. I have to say I most likely would not go back. I was set on transitioning to the CRV until reading about oil-dilution (who knows?!). For me the outward visibility is the biggest plus - I feel like I'm in a cave when I drive my wife's '16 RAV4. Mixed Driving mpg now 30+ vs. 22.5 for my old car, 23.5 for my wife, '20s RAV4 supposed to be better now. Acceleration loud and a bit sluggish when stomping on the gas, but it does go. Hate whatever it is about rain/hood splash/windshield where my wipers need to be on full speed in a normal rain and my radio still can't remember stations-I use WAZE through Apple carplay for navigation . Also, my old RAV could transport my snowblower upright-not so in the Forester. I think Forester paint colors are boring, but not a deal-breaker for me. Interior far superior to RAVs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts