Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this has been going on since I bought the car about a year ago. It never really bothered me before, but lately it has been bugging me. It sounds like when you shake up a can of spray paint. Now it only happens if I'm going up a hill or accelerating. Oh also from the drivers seat it sounds like it's coming from the right side of the engine.

Any thoughts? Possible some sort of pressure release vale rattling?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have that problem too, but that's not what this is. It's hard to explain the sound. Almost like the sound a rock make when its stuck in the tire, though it been happening this past year. Something is ticking away and I can't figure out what.

Anyone?

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring CVT CVT
48 Posts
Noticed it with mine too, only happens when the engine is warmed up (esp. after a highway drive), and the weather is nice.

Any kind of load I put on the engine while stopped, or at low speeds, briefly for a half-second I get that rattle.. sometimes it fades away, sometimes it abruptly stops as if something spinning is catching, like a gear.. It's annoying the hell out of my wife and I, and bringing it to the dealer, demonstrating the noise, he said that it's common, and it's even noisier with the manual transmission..

Only thing is that I've never heard any other car make this sound when accelerating from a light or stop sign..

Bringing it in for maintenance on Tuesday, hope to bring it up again, 'cause a new car shouldn't be making this noise..

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
106 Posts
The rattle may result from a broken-off piece of material inside the catalytic converter. Aside from the noise, if there is no code thrown or loss in performance, it should be safe to ignore. Once you start getting P0420 (which will inevitably happen with normal wear of the catalyst) you can think about putting a new converter in.

I have read that the damage may be more likely to result from misfiring or over-rich fuel mixtures: The fuel burns inside the cat, creating heat that causes the material to break up. But this does not have to be the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts