Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2001 Subaru Forester it's a Automatic and its got about 188K on it. Recently I noticed a soft rattling noise when pressing on the accelerator and sometimes when letting off the accelerator. But it is related to pressing on the gas. Lately it's gotten louder before I couldn't hear it often now I hear it all the time. Big red (my car) is going to the dealership tomorow but I was wonder if you guys might have some ideas since sometimes the dealership doesn't fix what I want so I just have my local mechanic or boyfriend fix it if they don't. Haha

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
It could likely be the heat shields on the exhaust system rattling, a common aggravation on earlier Forester. Some people have them removed, some welded, and some come up with other solutions. When my 99 was newer and still under warranty, I had this problem,they drilled the heat shields and installed self tapping screws which just slightly contacts the exhaust pipe and the rattling stopped (forever). If that's what they diagnose, your boyfriend or local mechanic can probably do it for free or less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could likely be the heat shields on the exhaust system rattling, a common aggravation on earlier Forester. Some people have them removed, some welded, and some come up with other solutions. When my 99 was newer and still under warranty, I had this problem,they drilled the heat shields and installed self tapping screws which just slightly contacts the exhaust pipe and the rattling stopped (forever). If that's what they diagnose, your boyfriend or local mechanic can probably do it for free or less.
Oh okay I was so worried that it would be something expensive. Great I'll have them look at it before I go to the dealership Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were right on the fact that it was the heat sheild. Unfortunatley the car has leaking head gaskets. The dealership said it'd be about 1,800 with tax to fix.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
You were right on the fact that it was the heat sheild. Unfortunatley the car has leaking head gaskets. The dealership said it'd be about 1,800 with tax to fix.
That seems a little high, but I see by your other post another Forester may be coming your way :biggrin:.

You might consider updating your Profile in the User CP to indicate your location. That way, now or in the future, members who might be local can voice an opinion or offer alternate solutions to this or future problems.

Either way keep us informed as to your future Forester plans. Are you getting Mom's 05X?

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup I am she's geting her new Outback in a few weeks. Big Red was supposed to go to my brother but it looks like he's out of luck LOL. Anyway, I'll miss the car it was a good one.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Yup I am she's geting her new Outback in a few weeks. Big Red was supposed to go to my brother but it looks like he's out of luck LOL. Anyway, I'll miss the car it was a good one.
Sounds like a good deal for you, but like I said post a location, someone may have a cheaper solution to get it fixed and passed along to your brother, then it would be a 3 Subaru family.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts