Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just bought a new 2010 Forester 2.5 X last week. I've already driven it for about 500 miles and I noticed a rattling sound. I usually hear it from the back, particulary the rear windows. It sounds like a vibrating glass sound and I would hear it every time I drive through uneven and unpaved roads. It's really annoying...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
6 Posts
Hello!

I just bought a new 2010 Forester 2.5 X last week. I've already driven it for about 500 miles and I noticed a rattling sound. I usually hear it from the back, particulary the rear windows. It sounds like a vibrating glass sound and I would hear it every time I drive through uneven and unpaved roads. It's really annoying...

Any ideas?
I just had a thread on this last week. It's titled Rear Lift Gate Rattle

Mine was coming from these two rubber cone looking things that stick out of the tailgate and are made to help keep the gate snug against the body of the vehicle. If you wiggle them you can sort of hear the noise. All i did was put some foam pipe insulation that you can get at home depot into the holes in the body that these cones fit into. Rattle noise was GONE!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had a thread on this last week. It's titled Rear Lift Gate Rattle

Mine was coming from these two rubber cone looking things that stick out of the tailgate and are made to help keep the gate snug against the body of the vehicle. If you wiggle them you can sort of hear the noise. All i did was put some foam pipe insulation that you can get at home depot into the holes in the body that these cones fit into. Rattle noise was GONE!
I just read the thread... seems like different solutions were made to get rid off the annoying noise. Can you please show me some pictures if you can so that I can point out the problem easily. Thanks!

·
Registered
2010 Forester X 2.0
7 Posts
Hey from Brazil,

I´ve had the very same problem with my car. Adjusting the rubber "cones" may solve the problem, but not in all cases. As you can imagine, my city (Rio) is full of rough, uneven pavent all over... much, much worse than in NY, believe me. One of the things I did was to take this long plastic cover from the cargo floor, where the metal "hook" that secures the gate is located. Taking this cover off (it´s kept in place by four plastic rivets -- just pull it), I could re-adjust the hook (sliding it a bit towards the inside of the car), and the whole rear gate became more tight and much less noisy. I also managed to put self adhesive felt pads (sold in hardware stores) in the inside metal section of the two rear pillars, inside the roof lining, close to the the back windows. I found out that, in that area, on both sides, there is a rectangular plastic part (it´s the tip of a longer part, which runs along the windows). This rectangular part bangs against the metal, producing a vibrating noise. To get there is kind of tricky. You must remove, partially, the plastic pillar cover (and for that you must take out three screws). I also managed to put felt pads on the metal, inside the big black botton plastic casing which covers the wheel area... I found out that there is a place where there is a plastic pin which simply "rests" against the metal... and that produces noise. And, lastly, I put little rubber tips in six little holes located in the back of the back-seats. If you bang there you will hear this metallic sound, produced by little metal hooks which keep the seat upholstery in place. If you put these rubber tips in these holes, this particular noise will go away. There are, also, two other places where you might stick round felt pads: on top of the rear third brake light (between the plastic casing and the metal frame); and inside the rear gate plastic cover (for this, you just take out this square cap, close to the botton of the cover). After I did all of this, I pretty much got rid of all of my rattles... and my car is now very, very quiet... I can say I spent a total of 30 hours researching and doing all of this... but spent no more than ten bucks with the felt pads... I just can´t understand why the guys of Subaru, in Japan, didn´t pay attention to this noisy aspect of the new Forester... Anyhow, I just love my new Sabaru.... hope you have fun!!!

Fernando

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5XT
21 Posts
I think the quality of clips that Subaru puts on their panels are not as good as that of other japanese brands.

Had my 07 FXT's sound system upgraded and my installer had problems removing panels in the door and the A-pillar as they easily break.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
12 Posts
Hello!

Any ideas?
Have you tried pkess suggestion with foam, any results?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried pkess suggestion with foam, any results?

Thanks
The thing is... I would sometimes hear this noise and sometimes I wouldn't, so I can't really point out what's going on with it. But if I do hear it, I know for sure that the noise always come from the same area.

If anything, would there be any pics available for that area that might needs an attention. I'm a noob when it comes to car maintenance and repair. I'm just starting to get interested with it. :rock:

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
I don't know if the 2010 is the same as my '05, but I get a rattle from the rear middle shoulder belt where it retracts into the ceiling. I would only hear it at slower speeds on rough roads, but the thing sits there and vibrates against the plastic housing.

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
I don't know if the 2010 is the same as my '05, but I get a rattle from the rear middle shoulder belt where it retracts into the ceiling. I would only hear it at slower speeds on rough roads, but the thing sits there and vibrates against the plastic housing.
That is the most common rattle in the back.. There is a simple way to fix it.. Just get a rubber band.. Pull the belt out a ways.. Put the rubber band around the two steel pieces to hold them together and then roll the clip up the in the belt 2 or 3 times and put it back in the holder in the roof.. That will end the rattle..

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2009 2009
1 Posts
I also had a lot of rattling in the rear as well as in the front door baffling. I just brought it to the dealership, and they worked on it a few days doing road testing, keeping me updated everyday.

Finally, yesterday, I got it back and its snug and quiet! I read the repair report, and they even added some foam insulation, because (and I don't know if this is just psychological) even the road noise was reduced considerably.

I suggest you just bring it to the dealership since they probably now how to fix it by now, from all the Forester rattling that they had to address. It under warranty anyway...

I was this close to selling my Forester, it was driving me nuts! But now I can drive my car and be happy!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
A brand new car with only 500 miles should be taken to the dealer for WARRANTY repairs.
^^This.

If I'm not mistaken, a car you've owned for less than 30 days and under 1000 miles is also covered under the ADJUSTMENT period. They're pretty much obligated to fix every rattle, squeak, or whatever you find wrong with it. I would not attempt to DIY this one. Take it to the dealer and have them take care of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts