Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Rattling in Engine Bay

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mkeskater414 
#1 ·
I live in Wisconsin, and its right around the time of year where it gets extremely cold. Within the last month, i've noticed a rattling noise coming from the engine bay when I press down slightly (or hard) on the gas. I only hear the sound starting from a stop in first gear, and occasionally in second gear. Also, the sound can be heard if I have the car in neutral and just tap the gas.

Like I stated earlier, its just a rattling noise, almost like a quick tapping sound. I've noticed however that the sound gets worse the colder it gets. If I leave the car in a warm area, it only makes a very faint rattle. If its left out in the cold, the rattle is worse. (So im assuming that the cold weather triggers this.)

A friend of mine suggested that it may be piston slap?, but i'm not to sure at this point.

Anybody else have an idea of what it could be/how to fix it?

Thanks

#2 ·
This may sound to simple but I had the same problem and all it was is the stock intake muffler box thingy was loose and hitting the side of the fender when idling or shifting gears. I just cut it all off and am hoping to build an aluminum intake. Just something to check.

#7 ·
Yes , I could. The "Gap" between the cam base circle an the tappet with the valve closed* The gap (clearance) becomes less as the engine warms. typically 7-20 thousandths of an inch.

* on inverted bucket tappet DOHC like your XT employs.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.