Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 FXT-T Paddlers
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It must be a Subaru.

I've got a super annoying clicking sound over slight bumps in the road coming from the driver's side dash area. It's driving me freaking nuts. I can duplicate it by pushing the steering wheel / column side to side or up/down.

Anybody have this one yet?

Started at the 4,500 mile mark. Bout to rip the freaking dash apart.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,975 Posts
It must be a Subaru.

I've got a super annoying clicking sound over slight bumps in the road coming from the driver's side dash area. It's driving me freaking nuts. I can duplicate it by pushing the steering wheel / column side to side or up/down.

Pretty sure rattles are covered for the first year / 12000 miles. If you can replicate it that easy the dealership should be able to find it.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I took a '14 Subaru Forester for a test drive and it was already squeaking / rattling with only 30 miles on the clock. I asked the salesman who was ridding with me what's the deal with all the noises. His answer was "It's normal, all cars do it". Yeah, evidently Subaru salesmen never ride in competitions' cars. And Subaru expects potential buyers to have very low standards.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium(NAV cvt
70 Posts
Nearly 5000 miles on our Premium and all is quiet. No roof squeaks or any other unnatural sounds.

It is possible for manufacturing defects to occur & the dealer can adjust if they can hear it as well.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
I'm at 9k and so far everything seems well bolted (esp. compared to the SH). Cross fingers.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
6 Posts
I'm new to this forums. This is my first post.

My '14 Premium started to have the exactly same rattle at ~2,000 miles. I also feel it is at driver dash, might be linked to steering area. On hot day, turning on AC will easily make rattle to appear.

Let us know if you find any solution. Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I took a '14 Subaru Forester for a test drive and it was already squeaking / rattling with only 30 miles on the clock. I asked the salesman who was ridding with me what's the deal with all the noises. His answer was "It's normal, all cars do it". Yeah, evidently Subaru salesmen never ride in competitions' cars. And Subaru expects potential buyers to have very low standards.
Hmm... My other car is an 18 year old German sports car that has 93000 miles on it... It doesn't make a single peep, never has, even while cornering at high speeds. :)

Nick

·
Registered
2018 Premium M6
348 Posts
You're not alone.

My 14 has an annoying dash squeak/rattle coming out of the center stack area where the multi-function display is.

Sometimes it rattles over bumps, other times when the RPM's are just right (I have the manual tranny).

Pushing on it gives a squeak but I can't narrow it down to the "hood" since the rest of the plastic underneath it squeaks if I push on it.

I mentioned it to the dealer yesterday when I went in for an oil filter and the service writer gave me a brush off answer. Almost afraid to go in and waste my time.

Sad, because this car has more rattles and consumes more oil than my 160k 2005 RAV4 did... but that year RAV was the last good ones Toy made before they began pushing out junk.

The body integrity of the Forester scares me. I hate rattle traps and I'll hate it even more if it continues to consume oil.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Base 5-speed
827 Posts
It must be a Subaru.

Rio

Our '14 XT started making the same noise...i figured it was because my wife ran into a parked car....

Other than that and the CVT's peculiar chirp, its been nice and quiet.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
178 Posts
noticed a dashboard rattle over rough freeway roads around 4500 miles. I'm at 5500 miles and even though it's subtle, it's annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
I think the key here is knowing that rattles are part of owning a Subaru. LOL.

I have numerous rattles on mine (all were noticeable within the first 1000 miles!), but all of them seem temperature related. I have no rattles when its either really really cold or really really hot. In between those temps, the rattles come out in full force!

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
My '14 Premium started to have the exactly same rattle at ~2,000 miles. I also feel it is at driver dash, might be linked to steering area.
I have the same rattle... it comes from the plastic bezel that surrounds the instrument cluster. If you push in on the bottom of it near the steering column the rattle will go away.

I haven't quite figured out a solution to it... I tried removing the bezel this weekend actually to see if there was a loose clip or something but everything seemed tight. I might try cutting up an old sock and inserting a few strips between the bezel and the dash to see if it quiets it down.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
355 Posts
14 XT, i have sounds coming from the passenger side front door. And from the glove comparment.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
17 Posts
Hi Gusu,

Might be able to help you with the door rattle.

I had a rattle/clicking type noise in my front drivers door (R/H) your front passenger door over there. Started after I had the door panel removed for a small dent to be popped (paintless dent removal process). Mind you, I reckon the rattle would have surfaced anyhow as I've since found its the hardness of the door plastic in the 14XT. Its only on the one door and the noise comes from the hard plastic rubbing against the door metal. I've attached a picture. I inserted 3 pieces of sticky backed rubber tape, not too thick between door trim & door metal. You'll see them in photo, I've yet to tidy it up. Don't see it with door closed, so not in hurry to make pretty!

Had Subaru try & fix as they organised for the dent to be removed. Taking a door trim off can muck up a good tight seal and dealer & I thought some of the clips might not be secure. They did hear the sound, which is only heard from my drivers position as its the drivers door. Becomes more noticeable on rough roads and when you slow done as there's less road noise. Also drove around without door trim off to prove rattle origin. No trim on, NO rattle!

Rattle varies with ambient temperature too. Darn annoying. I ended up taking trim off myself and replacing all dozen or so clips. Only marginal improvement. Had all but given up trying to find the source (lack of time )and just happened to push & prod door trim one day and behold I replicated the noise by pushing the side of the door trim. Prising the trim away from the door with small plastic trim tool noise couldn't be reproduced.

Inserted the tape in 3 places and no more noise.:icon_biggrin:

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
I had a slight dash rattle on really cold days. Haven't heard it in a long time though now that it's warmed up.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Forester XT CVT
26 Posts
Steve D I'm gonna try this as I have a rattle but put it around the b pillar.... Does it sound like it comes at ear level or around where you put the tape near the lock? Has this fixed your issue? I took my b pillar apparat and put foam tape and it still makes that sound... Have tried your suggestion with these foam pieces I had laying around see attached photos. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Touring
1 Posts
Hello,

2.5i Touring, 14,000 miles. The purchase deal was $35,000 (with the included 7 years warranty, diamond windshield protection and so on...).

The rattles in the dashboard are driving me crazy to the extent that I hate myself for deciding to go for an ideal vehicle that should have no issues with road imperfections. While I am driving on normal streets this dry high frequency rattle and vibration from top of dashboard is not bearable anymore.

I had the car in service 7 times for this reason. The Subaru tech rep (Austin) witnessed it and "fixed" it but now the car is rattling a lot easier than before.
The speaker covers on top dashboard are all lifted from amount of material they tried to fit in the joints and the noise is still there.
These and Bluetooth phone calls dropping and freezing of head unit made me ask Subaru America to consider buying it back unless they solve them.

I got that call from a case supervisor (Leslie) this morning and she offered I trade in my car and she'd pay me $2,500 against purchasing another Subaru product.

Now, the problem is, even though anyone can easily hear the rattles and I have lots of videos with the Bluetooth problems, I am being told that it is not true and the vehicle is in perfect shape (and she insists on it), that this is just a Customer Dissatisfaction case and there is no reason for buy back.

Anyone can recommend a good lawyer that can help me get my money back?

Driving this Forester in these conditions is an everyday pain and I am sorry for making any Forester fans sad with my experience but I am feeling really really disappointed with my purchase and the whole SUBARU driving experience...

Thank you,
Ciprian

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
49 Posts
I have the same rattle coming from the steering column/plastic surround. It goes away if I push down on the plastic. There's also a new rattle coming from the glove box that started after the service shop took it apart trying to find my electrical fault. 7k miles. My 99 Corolla has less rattles than the brand new Forester.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Forester XT CVT
26 Posts
I found my issue.. It was coming from the door seals. The rubber was very dry and rubbed against each other between the door and made a noise every time the car went over uneven road causing vibration. A little rubber protectant over the rubber seals fixed the issue. No more door rattle!! Hope this helps others with similar issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts