Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to collect a list of responses to rattle and vibration solutions on 2010 foresters. Mine has quite a few. For instance whenever I would hit a bump I heard a vibration coming from the rear passenger side. It turned out to be the rear passenger side plastic wheel well liner's bottom edge rubbing against the sheet metal of the body/frame/muffler shield whenever I hit a bump. I put a piece of adhesive backed rubber foam between the bottom edge of the wheel well liner and the metal it contacted to eliminate it. I found it when I started banging on the top of the rear bumper ledge on the passenger side. then traced it to the wheel well liner. There is also a rattle coming from the rear that I suspect may be the passenger side rear seat reclining mechanism. I haven't confirmed that yet. I have to crawl around underneath and see if I can find something loose on that side. I'll tell you this vehicle seems to have more rattles and vibrations that come and go than any vehicle I have ever owned.
Fix one and another takes its place!

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,748 Posts
Mine is also rattle free. My sister's 2009 Forester Limited has the front door baffle rattle. So it must be a hit/miss thing with the current model line.

·
Registered
2009 FXT limited 4eat
12 Posts
My 09 xt has several rattles and creaks. I'm going to install door speakers soon and will add some insulation and seal the square rattle makers while I'm in there.

Also the foam in the tool area squeaks when going over uneven surfaces. I bought adhesive felt and will apply it on all edges that rub.

One noise I'm unsure about is a random clunk/rattle in the rear over bumps at parking lot speeds. I've since installed new complete kyb struts and shocks all around and it didn't help. Ride is obviously better though.

I've noticed the multiple plastic panels under the vehicle also fit loose enough to rub back and forth so will be insane foam washers under every clip as time goes. Have already done a few.

One thing that may help others here is I noticed the center tunnel heat shield resonated like crazy if I closed doors or even just bumped the vehicle hard enough. I installed adhesive noise mat to the top on both sides, completely eliminated that resonance. So strange it would do that from the factory, maybe the factory tried to save on floor insulation for weight/fuel economy reasons.

I will probably be adding 60lbs of noise damping in total, already have a second roll and have only done the rear cargo tire well area.

It's going to be very quiet eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts