Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days after taking delivery of our precious FXT we saw a CEL. NOt great, but probably nothing major. Bring it to the dealer because the registration came in and we needed an inspection anyway. Get a call a few hours later that a rodent of some kind had chewed apart the main harness in various places, the alt wiring, various vacuum hoses, and who knows what else.

Beyond the obvious, we are frustrated because we have owned our home for 5 years and never had a single rodent problem ever. It's a beach community on a peninsula and our only real pests are the seagulls that enjoy decorating our cars after a fresh washing.

Prior to delivery we discussed with the salesman that there was an odd burning smell, but it was dismissed as odd fluids evaporating. We are thinking maybe the offending mouse may have already found a home somewhere. So...

Has anyone ever had something like this happen? I don't want to push the panic button just yet. My car insurance is picking up the tab and car rental (minus the $500 deductible of course) and the claims rep says it isn't exactly uncommon. Considering the record floods in our area over the past few weeks, I'm guessing more than a few little rats got displaced from their homes.

Just venting a bit and looking for similar experiences.

Thanks

T

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I find out that the dealership cannot locate a new wiring harness for an 04 FXT anywhere in North America. SO I am stuck with a patch job. I'm soooo less than happy about that. Does that sound legit? Any Subaru dealers on the forum know different?

T <~~driving a toyota Yaris rental :puke:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
A client I work for has a mid 80s Ferrari Testarossa sitting in his garage with about 2,000 miles on it. Every couple of years he has to put it on a flatbed and have the wiring and hoses replaced..... because rats chew on it.

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch!! that's painful. I went out and bought the most fierce baits and traps I could find. I skipped right past the PETA section and cleaned out the Samuel L Jackson brand of badmotherf#cker baits and traps. Crossing to my cars is now going to be like crossing the DMZ from South Korea to North Korea for these little f#ckers.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,692 Posts
That's [email protected]#$'n Funny! Are they the big Tree Rats or just the little field mice?
I'm betting the big dudes....they come across on phone lines to your house.
Had a problem at my parents house with these things. I got the big MoFo traps. They like bacon and peanut butter.

You have to be careful how you dispose of these critters because of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). A friend at work had a pigeon problem at a college.. the birds had roosted inside a building that was converted into classroom and offices...extremely high ceiling. They tried everything to get them out....birds were ****ting on computers. Finally the guy comes in at 6am before anyone else is there with a scoped pellet gun.. shoots'em and bags'em. When students asked what happened to the birds he said "the pigeons were relocated."

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately it's not as bad on this coast as the left coast ... yet. It's still open season on furry woodland creatures. I haven't caught any yet, but I will certainly post carnage pics (only 1 post until I can do pics, yay).

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
due to the age of the car and the fact that the forester and most subaru parts are made in japan, it wouldnt surprise me if they didnt have one, its not something that is replaced a lot, but on that note i would see if they cant order one, it will take longer but its the right thing to do

if you ever want a good pet...........well get a rat, not kidding next to my dogs, my rats where the best pets ever!!

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already have 2 fat useless cats. The big guy is a 35 lb bag of useless bad attitude. The other one just smells bad. Neither is interested in hunting mice. Maybe a giant alpha-male rat would scare away the little offenders?

·
Registered
2005 2.5X
241 Posts
Dog chased a*groundhog* under my sube, I had to fix the wiper wiring from the nervous chewing as he sat on top of the engine...

Dave

·
Registered
05 XT 4eat
124 Posts
Ouch!! that's painful. I went out and bought the most fierce baits and traps I could find. I skipped right past the PETA section and cleaned out the Samuel L Jackson brand of badmotherf#cker baits and traps. Crossing to my cars is now going to be like crossing the DMZ from South Korea to North Korea for these little f#ckers.
This is one of the funniest posts I have ever read on this site. Thanks for the laugh.
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope that you are able to get it all fixed up properly.

·
Registered
2001 Forester L
404 Posts

Sorry I can't help you out, but I was almost in tears after reading that. I've been sick all day and this made up for it haha!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
What part of your harness is chewed up? If it's on the engine itself, I have an engine harness if you want it.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I already have 2 fat useless cats. The big guy is a 35 lb bag of useless bad attitude. The other one just smells bad. Neither is interested in hunting mice. Maybe a giant alpha-male rat would scare away the little offenders?
We had a fat cat problem. Find out that most catfood is made cheap with cornmeal and grains mixed in to a high percentage. These grains are TERRIBLE for cats as cats are Carnivores and sugary grains ( waste from brewery process) leads to digestive problems and Diabetes.The Big Cat food Co's dont care and science diet is one of the worst. We give them grain free Wellness now and they are always Healthy, skinnier and have a nice coat. Check it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5X 5mt
943 Posts
We had a fat cat problem. Find out that most catfood is made cheap with cornmeal and grains mixed in to a high percentage. These grains are TERRIBLE for cats as cats are Carnivores and sugary grains ( waste from brewery process) leads to digestive problems and Diabetes.The Big Cat food Co's dont care and science diet is one of the worst. We give them grain free Wellness now and they are always Healthy, skinnier and have a nice coat. Check it.
We stopped giving our Italian Greyhound Science Diet because she was a few pounds overweight despite how little portions we were giving her.

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure the car didnt come "pre-chewed"?
Yea, we checked it out pretty thoroughly before we took delivery. No way of knowing if the mouse was living in there somewhere already of course.

Pics from my cell phone of the damage. I brought my good camera to take detailed pics and dropped it. Yea, it was that kind of day. There was plenty more, but I was impatient.

On a happy note. The car itself is pretty hawt

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rocco isn't fat because of cat food. He's fat because of Easy Cheese and Wendy's bacon double cheeseburgers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts