Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, another one. Add me to the long list of people who have learned the hard way.

Week and a half ago (Dec 5th), PepBoys drained my ATF and double-filled my engine oil; by the time they "corrected" it, they had flushed my transmission, used the wrong ATF (Dexron III, so it could be worse I guess), and swapped my spark plugs for a set with the wrong heat range. All this without ever admitting wrongdoing (describing the simultaneous absence of a leak and absence of ATF as "a mystery"...) or asking how I wanted them to proceed.

Dealership quoted me $530 to replace the spark plugs and ATF (drain and fill, drive to work it through the transmission, drain, new filter, and fill; they don't want to flush it a second time). That's just $50 more than the independent quote I got, and the dealership loaned me a 2019 Crosstrek in the meantime (I took it in this past Thursday), so that's a better deal.

After some calm but very direct conversations with PepBoys, they are reimbursing me $500. Seems they are trying to avoid corporate finding out. So now I have to wait and see if the transactions actually come through. If so, all I've paid is the amount I would have paid for the oil change in the first place, plus the taxes I didn't account for when I passed the quote on to PB. I can live with it; I'm not calling them again.

The one positive is that I've been really pleased with the customer service at the dealership. They took time to listen to me, piece together what had happened, and lay out what they would and wouldn't do before we spoke again. And when they realized it was going to take longer than my appointment time, they offered me a free loaner and assured me that if I didn't like the quotes they gave me the next day, I could just return the loaner and drive away with nothing owed. Wish I'd gone there for the oil change; turns out they have a coupon online for the same price!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,774 Posts
If PepBoys does come through with the $500, they may want you to sign some kind of release. Think twice before doing that in case a transmission or engine problem develops due to their negligence.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My owner's manual says ATF-HP. I do understand from reading here that it's just a more refined version of Dex III. Maybe most won't care and I have no idea about the real differences, but I started the incident with Subaru ATF-HP, so I want to end it with the same.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
36,917 Posts
@navgirl from the '07 Owner's manual, 11-21 - Maintenance and service:
Recommended fluid - Use one of the following types of automatic
transmission fluid:
• Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP
• IDEMITSU ATF HP
• Castrol Transmax J
• Pennzoil ATF-J*
If the recommended automatic transmission fluid is unavailable, Dexron III may be temporarily used. If the Dexron III is used continuously there will be a noticeable increase in the vibration
and noise from the automatic transmission.
Per the Subaru technical service document:
Recommended fluid:
• SUBARU ATF HP
Substitute fluid:
• IDEMITSU: ATF HP
• Castrol: Transmax J
• Pennzoil Quaker State: Pennzoil ATF-J
We're running Red Line full synthetic ATF & full synthetic gear oil in both our Foresters. This was an upgrade offered at our trusted Subaru dealership shop.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If PepBoys does come through with the $500, they may want you to sign some kind of release. Think twice before doing that in case a transmission or engine problem develops due to their negligence.
You raise a good point. I had thought about it and dismissed the concern since the market value of my car is less than a transmission or engine rebuild, but of course there are many lesser repairs. Guess the price point would determine whether it would be worth pursuing. I'll give it some more thought if it does come up.

They have supposedly processed two no-receipt "refunds" over the phone with me, one yesterday for $350 and one today for $150. They didn't ask for a copy of the dealership invoice or for me to come by the shop. So that's why I say I'll wait and see if the transactions show up on my credit card in the next week or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@2.5x_sleeper I'm not that fancy. :) Remember...you're talking to someone who went to PepBoys... I think I'm treating the ol' girl if I spring for 89 octane. She is geting older though, so I need to be more mindful of my intervals and choices of fluids. I mean, I keep reading posts where people swear by running seafoam through the gas tank periodically, and I've never even considered it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just logged in to my Pep Boys rewards account and the "refund" transactions are visible. Fortunately it should credit to my account in the same billing cycle as the charges from the dealership, so it will mostly even out. Glad I thought to look there; it's a big relief to see it in writing.

Funny thing: Reward points are based on dollars spent on parts and services. My balance is now -395.😂 Not that it matters now anyway...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
197 Posts
Oh jeez, not sure why anyone would keep using those places. Glad you got it resolved though.
This exactly. There is a similar oil change chain across the street from work. A coworker mentioned he dropped his car off there that morning. I mentioned that I needed to change my oil over the weekend. He proceeded to go on and on about how I was wasting my time by not simply taking it across the street as he “always does.” Coincidence or not, he went to pick up his car (2007 Outback). He had his brakes done. Goes to leave and has no power steering. Long story short, they killed the power steering pump. Still not clear on how (obviously it was confused for the master cylinder somehow). They mention nothing until he says something to the tech. All of a sudden they offer to replace the power steering pump. He sees it as no big deal. Takes it back, has it replaced. Still takes his car there for service.
Unbelievable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Friends, if you thought this story couldn't get better, just wait; there's more.

I just got my Forester back from the dealership, who replaced the spark plugs, ATF, and ATF filter. The mechanic who worked on my car was there as I was at the counter and told me he left the old spark plugs in my cupholder (in the boxes for the new plugs) in case I wanted to see for myself: the plugs he pulled were the NGK's I had installed by a mobile mechanic last year!

Which means that PB lied about changing my spark plugs, lied about why they had changed them, and couldn't be bothered to lie properly about which spark plugs they had used. So they knew the correct spark plugs were installed but couldn't tell me because they would have had to admit that they made the whole thing up! LOLZ

So I got a free spark plug change and caught them in yet another lie anyway...

However, this also means that I am now also annoyed with the dealership. They told me Thursday night that they would pull a plug to see the stamp and determine whether they needed to be swapped, then Friday afternoon told me they needed to be swapped. At that point, Pep Boys didn't even know that I had taken my car in to the dealership, much less agreed to reimburse me. So if PB hadn't come through, I would have paid to have my spark plugs changed for no reason.

At least the total came to less than quoted and the first $350 from PB hit my account today (thus I will probably see the other $150 tomorrow), so the only thing I lost was another shred of my sanity.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh jeez, not sure why anyone would keep using those places. Glad you got it resolved though.
It's because so many of us have been successfully conditioned to prioritize convenience over quality, and we think that what is familiar is safe. These shops are huge national chains. We drive past them all the time. We think they wouldn't be so successful and popular if they weren't reliable, so we don't do our own research. The PB involved here has dozens of one star reviews and horror stories spanning the past few years, but I never bothered reading them until now.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,790 Posts
And why I wont buy used anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I buy used, I only do it under two circumstances.

1) It is a vehicle that I leased, so I know what state it is in.
2) It is a vehicle I can't get otherwise, and I check it until I know what's what. Then I take it to a prop and have them check it. I don't do this very often.

It's because so many of us have been successfully conditioned to prioritize convenience over quality, and we think that what is familiar is safe. These shops are huge national chains. We drive past them all the time. We think they wouldn't be so successful and popular if they weren't reliable, so we don't do our own research. The PB involved here has dozens of one star reviews and horror stories spanning the past few years, but I never bothered reading them until now.
Certainly possible, but I try to ignore these places. I know too many people that got hired there that I wouldn't rate to wash my car, much less fix it. But that's just me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The saga continues and has taken an ugly turn. Last night I was excited to finally get my car back after 5 days at the dealership. Climbed right in and drove home. Today I go outside and see a huge strip of missing paint on the hood. It's just 10" x 2 " of bare metal, plus 3 other small spots. None of that was present when I took my car in. I had dings from hail damage, but that's it.

Called the dealership, and the guy I talked to replied, "Oh! I wonder if that happened in the car wash!" and asked me bring it in. I arrive and ask for him, and this other guy says they don't have anyone by that name. Looks at my hood and tells me that I must have been hit by a rock or something and that water got under and the paint peeled off and that it's just "an unfortunate coincidence" that it happened in the 5 days they had my car.

Unbelievable.

Said it will take up to 48 hours to get me the video footage I requested. They'll call me when it's ready.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
793 Posts
How does this PepBoys Nightmare relate to the Evap problems you posted in another thread at about the same time? You didn't mention either incident in the other, and plugs seem to be part of each story. Seems like you have had quite the run of bad luck lately?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They aren't related; I am just experiencing them simultaneously. I originally had one giant post about everything going on, and some kind souls pointed out that it was all a rambling wall of text and that no one was going to bother reading it, much less help me. So I divided it into two posts since my experience at Pep Boys has nothing to do with the other issues (P0420, P0442, and shifting issues), all of which preceded the PB incident. This one is mostly a *** rant about an incident that happened, whereas in the other I'm looking for advice on how to approach the issues so that I look for the right mechanic(s) and can approach the conversations intelligently.

Regarding this post, the transmission fluid and filter and spark plugs have been resolved by the dealership (and paid for by Pep Boys; the full amount has posted to my account), and now my rant is that I'm upset that my Forester has returned from the dealership with a large strip (and a couple of smaller dots) of paint missing and they are asserting that it's a coincidence. Regarding the other post, I probably should have left this out; I just felt like sharing my chagrin that I need yet another repair and am sad about it. I agree that this is spectacular bad luck when my attention should be focused on resolving my CEL codes so that I can pass emissions testing. Obviously the paint will have to wait until I resolve those issue, but I need to protect the exposed metal, so now I'm also researching that. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts