Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester S turbo AT Auto 4eat
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks , hope someone can help . hopefully not bumping an old thread . I have looked but carnt find one .

I have the following problem with my 98 Forester S turbo ( european model) with 4eat trans. pre OBDI . km stand at 198.000
for about the last four weeks : prior to the problem below i had a fuel pump go dead on me whilst driving , this was replaced .

Car randomly looses power under acceleration & or a trailing throttle , this can be whilst overtaking , pulling a way from lights , junctions or under hard full throttle conditions , it some times happens under part or trailing throttle , no CEL given . some times its a full stall , other times its a drop in power , not matter what you do with the throttle it dies for a few seconds then sorts its self out .

engine starts fine , idels fine and runs good both cold and hot . problem seems to be in open loop only , once warmed up ??

the following have been replaced with in last two weeks to try to sort the problem : new fuel pump , new fuel filter , new Mafs , new TPS, New Cam & Crank postion sensor , new air idel valve , new fuel pressure regulator , new coil , new plugs and leads , new air filter .
ecu has been reset also .

had complet oil change in trans , both diffs & engine oil and new filter 1000km a go .

due a cam belt change at 210.000km

i am at a loss as to the cause of the problem , might have to call in on the local (50km away ) subaru dealer to plug their subaru select monitor.
hope some one on here can help??

·
Registered
2000 SF5 Automatic
446 Posts
You've covered most of the quick things to check. How are your vacuum tubes and clamps?
Maybe do that cam belt change early?
Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your reply ,
sorry for the delayed answer ,
I have checked the vac pipes and there appears to be no leakes or split hoses .
No leaks at inter cooler or Y pipe ( running complet alloy Y pipe + silicon hose .
no leaks at throttle body or intake from air filter housing to turbo .
no leaks from turbo to intercooler .
No leak at BOV either . but the BOV is original so now done nearly 200,000km but seems to be working ok .
no leaks between turbo and OEM boost controler / and or intake manifold

no build up of carbon or deposits in throttle body, inter cooler shows on very fine film of oil on inside fines , also very clean too.

The foz shows an indicated boost of max 0.5 to 0.55 bar at wot , pulls well , holds boost .

At trailing or closed throttle shows vaccum of -0.6 to -0.8 bar again constant , no loss .
same bar at idle .

when the stumble ocures there is no loss of boost if under wot , just no throttle responce for a few seconds , if under trailing or closed throttle no loss of vaccum , again this causes stumble or complet stall if slowing down at lights ect .

But Foz starts . idls and warms up normally , once warm idles at 7 to 800 rpm , nice and steady .
looks like i will be starting at the fuel pump and working my way forewards again ,
but Im still at a loss to what is causing it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up Date , to day i carried out the following checks :

the vac pipes/ hoses and there appears to be no leakes or split hoses .
No leaks at inter cooler or Y pipe ( running complet alloy Y pipe + silicon hose .
no leaks at throttle body or intake from air filter housing to turbo .
no leaks from turbo to intercooler .
No leak at BOV either . but the BOV is original so now done nearly 200,000km but seems to be working ok .
no leaks between turbo and OEM boost controler / and or intake manifold

no build up of carbon or deposits in throttle body, inter cooler shows on very fine film of oil on inside fines , also very clean too.

The foz shows an indicated boost of max 0.5 to 0.55 bar at wot , pulls well , holds boost .

At trailing or closed throttle shows vaccum of -0.6 to -0.8 bar again constant , no loss .
same bar at idle .

when the stumble ocures there is no loss of boost if under wot , just no throttle responce for a few seconds , if under trailing or closed throttle no loss of vaccum , again this causes stumble or complet stall if slowing down at lights ect .

But Foz starts . idls and warms up normally , once warm idles at 7 to 800 rpm , nice and steady .
looks like i will be starting at the fuel pump and working my way forewards again ,
but Im still at a loss to what is causing it .

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,740 Posts
I would be looking at getting the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested. Then checking electrical connections to the pump, injectors etc

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
681 Posts
I had a similar issue recently although it did give me a check engine light and code (can't remember what it was, but it was saying to check the throttle body). Turned out it was a faulty sensor on the accelerator pedal. the garage cleaned it up and reconnected it and it seemed to work well afterwards but I got a new assembly fitted to be on the safe side because i didn't like the idea of the problem coming back halfway through an overtake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all those who took the time to reply and offer advice , great .
Good news traced the problem to the kick down switch mounted on the accelerater pedal , it had stuck open giving false signals , so causing the problem as reported .
New one ordered and fitted . a 15min job , unbolt complet throttle pedal .
release throttle cable , disconect elec conections , measure old kick down switch fixing bolt distance on threads . set distance on new kick down switch and remount in reverse order of disasembly. check kick down switch is operating with in tolerance as per service manual . start car and check throttle works . test drive .
So fingers crossed , took car for 30km test drive over various types of roads , including a blast on the local autobahn , then a slow cool down run home , so far good , no sign of the problem and the foz now drives a lot better , more responsive to throttle inputs at all speeds and goes like a scolded cat at WOT .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts