Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
891 Posts
You'll learn the work-around, but this might be an appropriate excuse to join AAA.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Manual 6-speed
71 Posts
Wasn’t there a recall last fall on some models? Not sure if Forster was one of them.

·
Administrator
17,350 Posts
G'day & Welcome @guages

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
446 Posts
I have not had this issue yet but have noticed that when it says 70 miles, assume that the tank is running dry. In our case, the next dip is 40 miles.

Since then we fill up the moment we see 5 bars on the dial.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
446 Posts
This is DW's vehicle so I don't know, but after reading stalling incidences on the board, we just don't wait for it. After 70 miles, the next drop is 40 miles, so I worry if the car is going to stall. I always thought there are 2 gallons of reserve fuel but nobody can explain why there are stalling incidences. Better not take chances.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
Last year I filled up just after 1 bar on gauge showed up and it took 13.3 gals. Capacity is 15.9. Even so I personally wouldn't wait much longer to get more gas. Never got the low fuel light and don't use the computer estimate. I usually fill tank when 2 or 3 bars show and it takes around 12 gallons. Fyi I haven't received or seen any recalls for anything yet for my 2015 2.5i CVT Premium.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium
569 Posts
I bumped an old thread describing a situation I had last Fall. I use one trip odometer to track fuel use now as a rule. I may trust the gauge again someday, but probably not this year. 😉

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
Hmm . . . This is my first vehicle with a digital fuel gauge in it so I have some worry as to how far to take it down on the bars. I wish that they could have included a traditional analog fuel gauge in it, also. The RPM gauge is so large they could have just shortened it a bit and shoehorned one in there.

I am considering on stowing a full 2 gallon gas can in it to see if i can make it to the 2.5 gallon warning light. Has anybody tried doing this yet.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
913 Posts
When I have 1-2 bars left on the digital gauge, I flip the gauge on top of the dash to tell me how many km I have left to go before I run out of fuel. But this gauge isn't really reliable because the number of km displayed is based on recent driving history. If I have been driving on the highway I will get a bigger distance remaining than if I have been driving in the city, because fuel economy on the highway is better. To show the number of km remaining in the tank is dumb because my driving history has absolutely nothing to do with the type of driving I am doing right now. I would be much happier if it would just display the number of litres of fuel left.

Now that I'm reading about you guys running out of gas I'm going to forget about the distance-remaining gauge and just go by the bars left on the gauge.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
452 Posts
According to my 2015's manual: "The low fuel warning light illuminates
when the tank is nearly empty, at approximately 2.6 US gal (10.0 liters, 2.2 Imp gal).
It only operates when the ignition switch is
in the “ON” position."

I guess I was right on the cusp of it illuminating for me because as I posted earlier I put 13.3 gals in at 1 bar on the fuel gauge. Yeah I wouldn't trust the computer at all and the MFD Mpg reading is always a little over 1 mpg too generous! I do mostly in town driving usually get around 20-21 mpg. :crying:

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT CVT
1 Posts
2015 Forester ran out of gas when it said 70 miles. Outback and Legacy are recalled but not Foresters. Anyone else have this issue?
2 months ago, left a friend's house starting a 50 mile drive, I had 90 miles "left" on the tank. By the time I hit my 12 miles left point, it said I had 40 miles left. I got a beep and saw that my 5 dashes turned into 1 in the last half hour. Car stalled out as I tried to accelerate uphill when changing highways. Nothing like feeling helpess in lane 2 of a 6 lane highway in front of an 18 wheeler at 9PM. Rocked the car enough to feed the fuel rails to get me over to the shoulder narrowly avoiding a pileup situation with the check engine light possibly putting me in limp mode? (Happens in the WRX)
I CRAWLED another mile and a half on flat terrain, barely, and my car was still like "You can make it 30 miles."
From then on I'm more paranoid about letting it go under 4 dashes..
15 Forester XT touring

·
Registered
2019 Touring
242 Posts
I am considering on stowing a full 2 gallon gas can in it to see if i can make it to the 2.5 gallon warning light. Has anybody tried doing this yet.
Be careful.... I'd like to do the same, but I'm concerned about running to empty having a negative engine effect and possibly picking something up from the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,512 Posts
.. it said I had 40 miles left... Car stalled out as I tried to accelerate uphill when changing highways. I CRAWLED another mile and a half on flat terrain, barely, and my car was still like "You can make it 30 miles."
From then on I'm more paranoid about letting it go under 4 dashes..
15 Forester XT touring
The fuel pickup is in the front of the tank, so if you are low on fuel, going uphill and accelerate, your available fuel will be out of reach.
If you hit the brakes, the deceleration will slosh the fuel back forward.
Every recent Subaru I've owned has acted the same way.
Always a good idea to not count on "getting there" with only vapors left... what happens if an accident turns your good mileage highway into hours of stop and go.. (Ans: You run out of gas).
I consider my car empty on 1/4 tank and then it's not an issue.
Mileage remaining indicators should have a disclaimer "For entertainment purposes only"... Actually, I think words to that effect are in the manual...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
42 Posts
Always a good idea to not count on "getting there" with only vapors left... what happens if an accident turns your good mileage highway into hours of stop and go.. (Ans: You run out of gas).
And THAT is a very great point.

Reactions: ctcfirearms

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 CVT
11 Posts
This is not a common but a known issue. See thread below. There are several others as i recall if you do a search.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...n-t-restart-highway-very-scary-moment-783117/

I agree with others in this thread that it's good to fill up around a quarter, but when there are 3 gallons left in the tank the car should not stop in the middle of the road.
Sometimes like others said, unforeseen circumstances such as a snowstorm or traffic can force a longer drive. A problem like this, especially for people who always fill up early can make for a much longer day since they may not even know that they have this problem in their car until an unusual occurrence forces a longer fillup interval.
The issue here is not the accuracy of the gauge but the design of the fuel pickup. With proper design at least 95% of the 16 gallons should be available.
Several issues could be causing this including the transfer function from the other half of the tank not working or a dirty filter, or a bunch of dirt from bad fuel accumulating at the bottom of the tank, or pickup point being moved out of place somehow... or maybe it's something else. If you find out the issue please post the solution here.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
5 Posts
2017 Premium 2.5 L with 22000 miles does it too

Our Forester has done this three times. I was driving it with about 80 miles left in it or 2.5 gallons. Car died after passing a truck and dropping my speed after the pass. About got run over by trucks in both lanes. Ditched to shoulder after power loss. Engine did not die, just no power. Went from 80 to 60, pushed the accelerator and nothing, went to the shoulder and into neutral to coast as the car was engine braking. Revved the engine and the RPM's came back up and went to drive and no power. Went back to neutral to coast up the road toward a ramp. Tried twice to return to power and it finally did. Went 1/2 mile to the next gas station and filled up. Still had 2.5 gallons left in the tank. It was on a dead flat road (I-69 in northern Indiana) and I was decelerating. My wife has had it happen twice to her with what showed at least 40 miles of gas. All three times were at highway speeds of 70 to 80 mph with 1-2 bars showing on the gauge. I have since tested the car while driving with 2.5 gallons in a spare can and trying to run the car out of gas. I have gone to no bars on the display and maybe 20 miles left running 60 - 70 mph with no problems and did not run out (but figured after showing no bars I might as well get gas, when I did I had only 0.5 gallons in the tank). However, I had not been driving for as long or as fast as I was when the car stalled. Some other truck models have had issues with the fuel pump overheating with low fuel in the tank as the fuel provides liquid cooling to the submerged pump. The pump then shuts down or fails to pump adequately enough to maintain the highway speed. In two occasions the car either started pumping or after shutting down and restarting we were able to proceed to get fuel. On one occasion, my wife called AAA and they brought fuel to her after she tried to restart and failed. Either way, we try not to let it drop below 100 miles if possible. But just this week I drove it on several short trips with 1 bar and the idiot light never came on to tell me that I was acting like an idiot again. What is the point of having a 15.5 gallon tank if you really only can use 13 gallons unless you don't need to?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts