Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in about March of '12 I bought a 99 Forester after being converted to a Subaru enthusiast after years of watching and helping my buddy with his Leg http://http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21010&hilit=rallywagon.

I'm a 19 year old college kid with a limited summer and break job.
The point; I have little to work with on the money side, considering I'm one of the few "kids" I know who paid for their own vehicle and didn't get mommy and daddy to buy a new wrx or sti. (I guess those are the real subie enthusiasts anyways, right?)

Anyways, I bought the car with about 180xxx on it, and the previous owner was a really cool guy who rebuilds subies and sells them, so the engine was rebuilt with about 20 grand on it, and the tranny came out of a GC8 with about 80 grand on it. Drove it home and loved it. Subarus have grown on me like I said, but I was happy I got a Forester and picked something unique, rather than getting a wrx like everyone and their mothers (although it's slower..). So here's the current progress:

Mods:
Borla UEL headers and N1 tip axle back
Polyurethane Black/Red Rally Armour Mudflaps
RS JDM 17 In. White Wheels/Low Profile Performance Tires
Tein Basis Coilovers
NRG Neochrome Wheel
Works Bell Hub
Hella Supertones
Custom Fabbed JDM Grille
15 Percent tint

Here's where it started!

Pictures:
Stock, like two days after I got it:

After the OBX exhaust was installed

Then got these wheels but hated the blueish tint to them...

so i painted them:

I've always loved gold wheels on subies, and I found the red mixed well with the gold. But I couldn't take the large wheel gap so I first installed 2011 wrx front suspension:

with the rear suspension swap, Now my rally armors are this high off the ground:

After all this, few things changed, got some new wheels, etc. Go ahead and continue for all that jazz!

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol thanks, but that's not me. That's my friend Zach who happens to be quite the Subie mechanic who helped me lower the front. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, I had to drill new holes for my flaps after putting coils on and they're about the same height off the ground as yours are now.
yeah man, unfortunately i'm not on coils (yet, lol), so when I load up the back with passengers I'm literally scraping everywhere I go because the ride's not that stiff. Thanks for checking it out! Need some window tint in the near future as well.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what ! i didn't know 2011 suspension would fit. what did you do to lower the rear ?
yeah, 2011 front struts and springs worked in the front (swapping top hats of course).

for the rear I found somebody selling 2001 impreza suspension and I got it for 20 dollars because he was just trying to get rid of it lol.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got new wheels and tires unexpectedly. My buddy picked them up for his impreza, but didn't like them, so we traded. They're white and I was going to paint them gold again, but I found I loved the white. Pictures up soon.

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5 Speed
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New Pictures again!

so like I said I got new wheels, here's some recent pictures taken!

group photo during a shoot lol

probably one of the last times i'll get her too dirty:

and some better style shots:

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
185 Posts
Nice vid, I was thinking "this guy should do some dirt launches" and then you do a sick power slide. I guess that would have to suffice. Lol.

1 - 20 of 376 Posts