Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I've got a 2009 Forester and I'm looking for some mud flap info. I've done some reading and it looks like the Rally Armor flaps are highly recommended.

I have a question about how the Rally Armor flaps are secured to the vehicle. I understand that no drilling is required. But do the sheet metal screws actually screw into the existing mounting holes (resulting in metal on metal contact), or do they screw into the polygon clips that are inserted over the mounting holes (no metal on metal contact)? My concern here is the metal on metal contact. I live near Chicago and salt gets everywhere during the winter. If the screws scratch up the metal mounting holes, I'm thinking that the holes would start to rust pretty quickly, and I'd obviously like to avoid that. Anyone with the Rally Armor flaps able to comment? Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
no metal on metal action on mine :biggrin:

RA provides plastic clips that fit over the mountins holes in the fender, screws fit through the holes and bite on the plastice behind it.

also if you have stock splashguards you may be able to use the bolts from them for one or two of the mounting points.

enjoy; "I heartily endorse this event or product" :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester AT
35 Posts
Actually, I just got done installing mine this weekend. The install procedure has you remove the some plastic fasteners (in my case I had the OEM splash guards). Then you install plastic clips provided by Rally around the holes. The stainless screws actually thread into and anchor in the plastic clips. So, the screws are only in pass through holes in the sheet metal, and do not tap into it as a typical sheet metal screw would.

I hope I made that clear, I did not take pictures during the install. Overall the toughest part of the install was taking out some of the Subaru plastic fasteners.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
^^ Yup, its easy... Your provided plastic washers and plastic polygon clips that fit over the area where the screws are fastened. Its a clean install, and easy...

Some shots on mine...

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
216 Posts
Excellent choice! I got mine a few months ago and love them. Especially the front ones, they prevent junk from hitting/splashing on the jutting (?) panel right behind the passenger sides (the part that has the plastic invisi-shield stuff on it). I removed the rear wheels to make installation easier. Took probably 45 minutes or so.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
I know I may be alone on this (being that I really thrash my car off-road), but I constantly rip my flaps off when I'm trying to reverse out of deep sand/snow/mud. Has anyone had any issues with the flaps getting in the way on the Rally Armor flaps? I would hate to spend that much on flaps only to rip them off like my cheap Autozone ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like a pretty good product. Thanks for the explanations too, glad to hear the screws don't tap into the sheet metal, I'll be placing my order this week!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts