Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi,
like you i am looking for information about these shock absorbers. I also saw the Bilstein B6 which seem to have good reputation, but I do not find them in kit ready to install (ie mounted with the springs)

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT CVT (High Torque)
223 Posts
hi,
like you i am looking for information about these shock absorbers. I also saw the Bilstein B6 which seem to have good reputation, but I do not find them in kit ready to install (ie mounted with the springs)
I haven’t seen kits for 2019 yet, not many people replace both shocks and springs in the first couple of years unless they are going for a coil-over conversion.

I just replaced my 2017 springs with 1” lift springs by Mann Engineering that are similar stiffness (15-20% stiffer then stock when loaded). I originally wanted B6 shocks.

Mann called Bilstein and while they don’t list official numbers, the B6 are quite a bit stiffer than stock. The B4 is only a little stiffer than stock. Mann felt the B6 were too stiff for off-road. Since I didn’t want to lose much off-road capability, I kept the OEM shocks.

If I stayed on pavement, I would have gotten the B6, but the combo would have been a LOT stiffer. Bilstein B6 with OEM springs might also be a good combination to start with. For my 2017, I couldn’t be happier with stiffer springs and OEM shocks, and I also tightened things up with a steering dampener lockout and harder inner control arm bushings. The 2019 already has much better handling than the 2017, so if I had a 2019 I’d be cautious not to change too much.

I can see why you would want it pre-assembled, an accident with a spring compressor can be deadly. My neighbor had one pop out and it whizzed past his head and bounced three times off ceiling and floor before putting a sizable dent in another car. That was just a small spring from a Mini.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
210 Posts
I actually plan on putting the Ralliteks on my 19 and with no struts available at the time, going to install them anyway. i'm just trying to figure out shipping because it adds $200 to Canadians in shipping alone and with conversion this is $850 for springs. But for US customers super good deal, especially receiving $40 off when getting both front and back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts