Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester XT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else who uses rain X believe that it increases glare and accentuates road rash and chips in your windshield?

I have sworn by rain X for years. Great in the actual rain (even though it seems like you need to re apply it every month otherwise your wipers start to get jump)

My old car had 120,000 miles on an original windshield and when the sun hit it straight on man there was so much glare. I attributed it to a beat up windshield which probably has tons of micro damage from 120,000 worth of road rash no matter how often I cleaned it.

I picked up my new used subaru with 30k miles on it. At the time the winshield seemed pretty clean. Fast forward a year down the road and I am up to 45,000 miles and even though I am a stickler about keeping my windshield clean, when the sun hits it straight on I am blind. I doubt the dealership had rain x on the windshield at the time but I have certainly put rain X on it myself and re apply once a month.

Surely it can't be me and having bad luck. I dont seem to notice this when i ride in my friends cars. (it could be that since I am not the driver that I am not on the lookout for it but I dont think that is the case) Still I will ride in another person's car that barely does any cleaning and their windhsield seems superior to mine.

Does Rain X cause excess glare and blindness when bright lights hit it head on? If so, are their better products. Or should just try and get it off the windshield altogether. And while we are at it, what are you favorite interior products to get the grease and smudging off the interior? It seems no matter how much you clean the inside, eventually an ultra thin layer of grease develops on the inside. And when you stick a towel up there all it does is swirl and move it around. I have since learned that this is likely from using leather conditioners on the dash as leather breaths and lets off vapors etc.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT sport mode
54 Posts
That's why I have 50% tint on all my car's front windshields.

Invisible Glass is the best product to use to clean the greasy layer inside the windshield. Also keeping a large silica bag dehydrator prevents excessive moisture in the car causing foggy windows.

Rain X, Wax, Ceramic Coat all work the same for me to repel water.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,218 Posts
I have been using the orange rainX in the reservoir and in spray bottles for cleaning all glass. The more you use it the better it gets.

I always had problems with the concentrated stuff.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
I found that RainX caused lights to scatter at night, so I stopped using it. I clean both the inside and outside of my windshield with SprayWay Glass Cleaner. Dirt cheap too.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Invisible Glass is the best product to use to clean the greasy layer inside the windshield. Also keeping a large silica bag dehydrator prevents excessive moisture in the car causing foggy windows.

Rain X, Wax, Ceramic Coat all work the same for me to repel water.
Just a heads up. Your insurance will most likely not cover you in a collision if your vehicle is found to have a tinted front windshield over a certain percent. Here in NY state it's 30%.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I never liked rainx. Leeaves this grimy slimeyness. which is glaring.

I usually clean my windsheild with alcohol to get rid of the oils or whatever builds up. That buildup of grime also causes glaring from the inside of the windshield

Im curious with that 50% tint for the front. For CA, thats illegal, but how would that help with the glare?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
Driving at night with tint on your windshield is like driving at night wearing sunglasses. Unsafe IMHO.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
23 Posts
I learned years ago that rainx on the front windshield at night was dangerous. The glare was overwhelming, I haven't used it on the front windshield since.

·
Registered
2017 '08 2.5x / '17 2.5i 4EAT, CVT
181 Posts
Been using Rain-X for decades without issue. You wipe it on with a piece of an old sock, as thinly as possible - cover it all but use as little as possible. Let it dry completely, then buff it off VERY thoroughly and there is no glare, no smearing, no smudges, nothing but slipperiness for water to roll off.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
55 Posts
I use the spray Rain-X cleaner on the exterior. Buff it well after it dries and there will not be any glare issues, but it will still repel water and grime. Use a non-silicone product on the interior glass.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester Touring CVT
81 Posts
I read that the perfectly clean glass you get when a car is new is because the manufacturers use hydrofluoric acid to clean the glass. It's deadly if it touches your skin but apparently when diluted and handled properly is a heck of a glass cleaner.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,172 Posts
Let it dry completely, then buff it off VERY thoroughly
This. The only times Rain-X has caused glare for me is after improper application.

The only other causes of windshield glare, in my experience, have been a severely pitted windshield or if the interior needs cleaning (which also has to be done properly to avoid glare).

Tinting your windshield to 50% is pure idiocy. Don't do that. It's even worse than tinting your headlights and/or taillights.

·
Registered
2018 Forester CVT
10 Posts
No problems with Rain X here...

I didn't realize the manual recommended not using the Rain X product until after I'd started going to a carwash where it's part of the cleaning process. I haven't noticed any problems using it and I just put the windshield cleaner in the car too. If anything, it seems to help keep the windows clearer and brighter. Not sure how they determined it was an issue but maybe they should look at it again?

·
Registered
2017 Forester
3 Posts
Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay

I swear by Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay. Before you use it, clean your glass and with a wet hand, slide your hand over it. You will feel spots that stick and feel rough. Use the clay bar (DON'T use a regular clay bar) and then run your hand over it. Smooth as, well, ….smooth as glass (pun intended). I swear by the stuff and all their products.
I too, feel that RainX leaves a film and when your wipers go across it, for a brief second, you see a light film. This is seen as glare in lights. I have lived in Western Washington State so I know my rain products. I used to swear by RainX, used it since the 80's, but no longer use the product because of the glare issue. Seems like the better wipers have become, the more products like these cause glare.
The worst one was Aquapel. You put it on with the supplied wiper, allowed it do dry (the solvent smelled like diethyl ether) and the water repelling lasted for months. The glare coming off the glass after a wiper pass was intolerable. Impossible to remove after treating. This is how I discovered Griot's Garage Glass Cleaning Clay !

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
336 Posts
@redearedslider;

That sounds nice. Does it let the water bead up on the windshield? Or just clean?

I’ve used rain x for years on all my cars and have never noticed a glare issue. But maybe I’m just used to it? I also use the orange rain x washer fluid to avoid reapplying the concentrated rain x more than once per year. IMO I’d rather have a slight glare than deal with water not beeding up on the windshield in the rain. It makes it almost impossible to see it’s so dangerous (and annoying).

·
Administrator
15,410 Posts
I too use Rain X and like it. I also find that if raining during the day a really good pair of polarised sunglasses works well too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Road grime and residue from RainX or other repellents can easily be removed by working windshield with fine steel wool. Wet windshield, go over thoroughly two or more times with the steel wool and rinse. Good window cleaner after that and you are good to go. And 50% tint on a windshield is beyond stupid. Airplane windows, where you are in intense sunlight most of the daytime, are never tinted at all. It only matters if you want to see what's on the other side of the window.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts