Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read on a car mag's website that Harley-Davidson is killing off the Buell brand. I am yet to purchase my first motorcycle, which will in all likelihood be a an old CB750 or a Nighthawk, but I've always admired the Buell brand and am sad to see it go. Eric Buell always wanted his bikes to be the best handling on the road, and I loved all the innovations and exciting models that embodied that goal. Plus, they were American! They sound completely badass, look awesome, they're fast...

Too damned bad. I hope he can find funding somehow before too long to build some more cool American motorcycles.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,522 Posts
If the quality of Buell was better it would be on my radar. I've ridden almost every bike in their line and they are a hoot and sound fantastic (harley).

straycat - don't forget to keep a V65 Sabre on your radar for a first bike...

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
Aren't most if not all Harley parts made in China now? I know a guy that runs a pretty tight performance/every day jobber parts place that also custom mills just about anything. Mention Harleys to him and he balks about all the cheap Chinese made (US assembled) parts that rattle apart. :S

However, some look gorgeous.

Buell? I think they make the absolute best looking street fighter style motorcycles out there!

Check out the website. Michael Buell with a heart felt announcement.
You can tell this man really loves his craft.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/

·
Registered
1998 Forester L 5MT
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smash, just read up on the V65 Sabre - sounds like a suicide machine! 121 horsepower, 0-60 in around 3 seconds according to one site. Holy crap, it looks sedate enough, definitely wasn't expecting that kind of power. 750cc's sounds like a fun range to start in, don't know about this 1100. Someday.

I see CB750's and 90's Nighthawk 750's on Craiglist all the time listed between $1500 and $3000. Seems like a great place to start, does that sound about right to you guys? Although, regrettably, I wouldn't be able to do this any time soon. But I'm doing my homework for when the time comes.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Straycatkid: If you Google around there must be a Nighthawk or CB750 forum somewhere. Yeah , there are some great deals on used bikes these days. A bike is a luxury for most guys, and if the economy deals them a bad hand, the bike is the first thing to go.
Just a thought: if you are saving up for a bike, try to save about $1000 more than you plan to spend on the bike purchase. Motorcycle clothing, accessories, tires, and repairs are not cheap. And take the MSF course if you can, it will pay for itself in the long run (insurance reduction.)
Cheers,
STeve
09 2.5X AT
1990 K75RT

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Hey, Penske! Now that the Saturn deal fell through, howzabout buying a motorcycle company?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Hey, Penske! Now that the Saturn deal fell through, howzabout buying a motorcycle company?
Not too far fetched I imagine, the manufacturing and parts supply are all in place, the latest Buell's engine is designed and built by Rotax which is owned by BRP (Bombardier-Ski Doo/Sea Doo/Can-Am) and they are doing well. More bad news is the fact that HD is selling MV Agusta after only a year of ownership, it was HD's hope that MV would give them a foot-hold in Europe's sport-bike market paving the way for Buell to cross brand some products for both Europe and the North American market. Now what will DMG/AMA racing do with no American manufacturer to bend the rules for.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Not too far fetched I imagine, the manufacturing and parts supply are all in place, the latest Buell's engine is designed and built by Rotax which is owned by BRP (Bombardier-Ski Doo/Sea Doo/Can-Am) and they are doing well. More bad news is the fact that HD is selling MV Agusta after only a year of ownership, it was HD's hope that MV would give them a foot-hold in Europe's sport-bike market paving the way for Buell to cross brand some products for both Europe and the North American market. Now what will DMG/AMA racing do with no American manufacturer to bend the rules for.:biggrin:
Mmmmmm... MV Agusta

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
Just heard the news. That sucks. I have always liked the out-there looks of the Buells, but could never get over the fact that they are Harleys. I think their design team did a fantastic job. I just wish they came with some Ducati engines in them

They should get stimulus money.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
If our illustrious state government would stop trying to scare away business with high taxes, maybe HD would be better able to keep the brand afloat.

Seriously, I hope someone is able to buy the brand from Harley and keep it going.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
That video was darn hard to watch.

Billions for A.I.G. but not one dime for a truly exemplary American manufacturer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not a great fan of Harley's (to much into sports bikes), but have always considered Buells to be a viable option (although I too have read all the negative coments on their build quality). Their latest models are indiviual with out losing out on practicality, and compared to the price of Harleys, a bargin both as a new bike or second hand. Trouble with pretty much the whole of the bike industry is that they are all running on the edge of profitability. If you look into the history of 95% of the bike companys out there you will find multiple owners and all sorts of odd partnerships. Not that the car industry is that much different, it's just that they tend to operate on a bigger scale. Having Buell go under would be a great loss as they are putting something out that's a truely interesting, fun product, which is really what most bikers want at the end of the day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts