Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So; just gotten the car back after fixing the bum sensor in the DPF I now have a new problem.

Whenever I accelerate the R. Diff. Temp comes on and then goes off again as soon as I ease off.

It does not show when the car is idling, and it will come back immediately after starting the car no matter how long I wait. Does anyone know what this might be? I checked the manual and it tells me to stop the car as soon as possible and wait to let the oil cool.

The car in question is a 09 Forester Diesel with about 30k km on the meter.

-KJ

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
Does it make sense that the oil is hot? Have you done a lot of driving before it comes on? Maybe it's a bad sensor.

Jealous about the diesel by the way. Does the diesel work well?

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The diesel boxer is a pretty impressive engineering feat. It has almost alle the positive things from a conventional diesel engine and none of the negative ones. I just hope that these problems I have had will go away now and let me enjoy the ride. :)

When it comes to the oil being hot, I don't think it makes sense. The warning light will turn on right after starting the car. I will let it sit over night and check it again tomorrow morning. If the light still is there, I will have to order transportation to the local dealer.

The really bad part is that the replacement car they run is a Justy :( Not really a comfy choice for someone my height.

-KJ

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
I'd give the dealer a call and ask them. If they've had some issues with the sensor you could probably drive it in. If all it checks is oil temperature and it obviously can't be hot there must be a problem with the sensor. I had a problem once where the wire had come undone and would swing against the body and make the light come on. Maybe have a look at the rear diff and see if something is hanging down.

The diesel sounds pretty cool, wish we had them here.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,055 Posts
I'd look for a chafed wire, especially if the fluid has been changed recently.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
966 Posts
jevel, you've been enjoying yourself in the snow banks/drifts, haven't you :icon_wink:

If there is damage to the wiring or risk of bottoming out when you go out to play, I'd recommend you fit the Rear Diff guard, in addition to the front guard.

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe... I must admit that driving this car in winter conditions here in Norway is pretty entertaining. But as this car is my transport to and from work, I have been treating it as a means of transportation and not a toy. I have barely driven it in deeper snow than up to the rims.

I'll go out and check if I can see anything under the back axle, but my best bet would be that something happened at the dealer when they had it up on the jack to fix the DPF sensor. They actually dinged my door as well in the process, which leads me to think they might not have the most proficient mechanic working on my car...

-KJ

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't really see anything under there that seems loose or hanging down, but I do see a connector at the back end of the diff itself that seems a little weird. The rest of the wires are covered in tape, but the last cm or so is just bare wires going into the cable shoe.

I don't have a camera handy here, so I can't snap a picture, but I found a pic on the internet. I have circeled the diff and the connector seems to go straight towards the rear of the car. I have no idea why it does not show in this picture, but it's there for sure on mine.

-KJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,055 Posts
Yeah, that's the sensor and yes, that's how the wiring looks on mine too.

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Then I can probably rule that out.

Might be the cable shoe itself or the connector that´s not fully seated. Will have to have a look at that as I call the dealer tomorrow morning.

-KJ

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd look for a chafed wire, especially if the fluid has been changed recently.
And the winner is... :)

The wire that goes into the connector on the rear axle is a weak point according to my dealer. They already have replaced five of them.

Thank god I didn't have to drive that pesky Justy ;)

-KJ

·
Registered
2009 2.0D
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, and sorry for my late reply. (Have replaced the Forester, and spend my time over at subaruoutback.org now... ;) )

I had mine replaced and it fixed the problem. Ran 50k km after I did the replacement and never saw the light again.

-KJ

·
Registered
2010 Forester SureTrak
102 Posts
Hi, and sorry for my late reply. (Have replaced the Forester, and spend my time over at subaruoutback.org now... ;) )

I had mine replaced and it fixed the problem. Ran 50k km after I did the replacement and never saw the light again.

-KJ
cheers buddy,
Yes I am sorted also, seems dealer knew exactly all about the problem and had it fixed in 20 mins.

thanks for reply ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts