Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is there anyone close to Oxford (or within an hour or so's drive) that's got a set of Foz wheels / with quiet tyres that I can try up and down the road a few times as I'm on a mission to make mine quieter - I've already done some soundproofing / rubber seal mods but I still find the road noise annoying...

Ideally I'd like to try some 'known' quiet tyres before I splash out on swapping out my nearly new Geolandar SUV's (71dB according to the datasheet) - the quietest summer tyres in standard sizes are 68dB which is supposed to be half as loud... Currently it's got standard XT 17's on it, with 215/55 R17s, not sure if 16s will clear standard XT brakes or not?

There's a beer and/or pub lunch in it as a bribe :D

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
The data ratings don't always tell you how the tyres perform IRL - they are a measure of noise heard outside the car, not what is heard in the cabin.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
From my experience all Subaru's suffer from road noise. My Z Lines were really noisey when worn but quiet when new. My current Sottozero winter tyres are much quieter.

·
Registered
2015 XT CVT.....sadly !
1,199 Posts
Have to agree with James on this. If you want less road noise, move away from Subaru and don't waste too much time trying to silence the unsilenceable

·
Registered
2011 Forester XS TD MT6
49 Posts
3dB in terms of physics means there is half the sound pressure. 3dB is also the smallest difference a human ear can reportedly recognize...

I looked into some cabin measurements for SUVs, and most of them are very close to each other. However noise is subjective, because different frequencies etc. can make a big difference. In our test driving all the gasoline foresters seemed noisy while we liked all the diesels! I think tires can make a difference - to really know you'd need to make head-to-head comparison of the particular makes.

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Tyre pressures also make a big difference to cabin noise. The snag is if you go lower pressure your fuel economy suffers at the gain of comfort.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump - still after a set of 'quiet' tyres (or a ride in another SG foz!) to see if my tyres are particularly noisy or not.

The salesguy at the dealer commented that mine sounded noisy earlier today, just after a reference to compare it to...

·
Registered
2003 2.0 xt 5MT
188 Posts
I changed from Nokian zLine (or some other Z?) to Vredestein Ultrac Cento (215/55/17) on my old Merc c200. Man what a difference! Will probably do something similar with summertyres on my Foz, most likely Dunlop Sport BluResponses.

There is much to be gained!

I started with buying new speakers though :)

·
Registered
2015 Fiat van Man stick
4,808 Posts
Rotate your wheels around the car at least every 5k. This wears the tyres more evenly and prevents stepped tread which thens makes a hum/vibration.

My sottozeros are beginning to get noisy so it's a case of fronts to rear opposite side and rears to front same side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts