Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FXT (MY03) is going in for it's service on Thursday and the garage has quoted about £100 for fitting a TD04 while it's there which seems pretty good to me. However they've quoted £350 to tweak my Ecutek map (for which I've been quoted a lot less by the original tuner.

My question is, if I get the garage to fit the new turbo, what issues am I likely to face while I wait for a slot with the original tuner?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,614 Posts
I suspect the original tuner has all your data on their system.

Persumably you paid for the Liscence on the first remap??

The Garage that is fitting the blower will have work to do to get it right.

IF THIS IS SO>>>>> best bet is with the Garage that FITS & Maps it, split it between 2 Garages and there is a problem>>>>>>>>>>>pass the parcel.

regards

AM

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, license is all paid for. The original map was by Bob Rawle and knowing how busy he his, it'll probably be 3 or 4 weeks before I can get a slot. The car is in for a cambelt + service so I figured an extra £100 to fit the turbo at the same time wasn't to bad to swallow... However, an extra £350 + rolling road time seems a bit steep considering I only paid £460 Inc vat (group buy) for the original remap and license

Therefore, I was wondering if I'm likely to experience any boost issues / dangers between fitting the turbo and a trip to see Bob.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,614 Posts
Why don't you get Bob to fit the blower &^ remap it??

As I said, it makes good sense to get it ALL done at one place.

Any problems can be resolved at 1 address instead of 2.

What did Bob get grunt wise for you by the way??

Regards

AM

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, makes sense to get it done in one place though I'm not sure how Bob feels about fitting turbos to Foresters.

I'd fit it myself but what with commuting an hour each way at the moment and two young kids (3 & 2), I don't seem to get much time to get the spanners out at the moment.

The remap was done back in January (in the snow, and yes, mapping on the road in sub zero temperatures is a little bit scary! ;o) so we didn't do a dyno run in the end but it definately shifts now... not quite up there with my previous WRX PPP but similar if not a bit quicker than the stock WRX I had beforehand.

I have a G-meter built into the head unit which now shows the max recorded G as 0.86G. In my old non-PPP WRX the highest I remember the G Meter registering was 0.72G and 0.82G in the PPP WRX. Torque is way better than the non-PPP WRX.

Even if I don't get the turbo fitted on Thursday, I may get a rolling road run done while I'm there (S4U).

New turbo is from a trusted source and off a 25k mile WRX and is in good shape so I don't expect too many issues on that front. I'm just a bit concerned about getting boost creep/overboost/knock/nasties if I fit the turbo and have to wait before getting it mapped again. As Bob did the original map, I think I'd prefer it if he did the tweaks to suit the new turbo.

(Max boost is 1.25 Bar at the moment).

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,881 Posts
You would be OK to run it with the new turbo as long as you keep it off boost.

When I had mine originally remapped with the TF035, Rich at Powerstation managed to extract 236BHP and 258Lbs.ft (350Nm) (Boost 1.2bar) so yes, some what quicker than a standard WRX.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running off boost would be pretty tough... not sure I have the self control! Will drop Bob an email in the morning and see what his diary is like.

Not sure who does the mapping at S4U(?) or if any one has any experience of their remaps?

·
Registered
2007 Sti Forester
38 Posts
You'd be mad not to use Bob.. I've had him map various cars of mine over about 40 different times

He's one of the best out there and you have to get it mapped on the road, not a rolling road... makes no sense to use a garage and pay £350 and if like most they probably dont know what they are doing - I can count on one hand the number of mappers that are any good and none of them are at 'well known garages'

£100.. that is unbeliavably cheap!

And no Bob wont change it nor does he have the time to

Remap will take about 1 hour and cost circa £100 I guess from Bob

As others have stated you just need to keep off boost and off high revs as there is a chance it will not have enough fuelling - you can actually damage the turbo also... You dont need to keep 100% off Boost but dont floor the thing and ideally keep to absolute minimum boost levels

Yes your right Bob can take a while - he may have a cancellation and you just need to beg!!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£100.. that is unbeliavably cheap!
I thought so too, hence the debate over whether to:

a) fit the turbo now, watch my right foot and wait for Bob
b) fit the turbo now and have them remap it
c) wait to fit the turbo until Bob has a slot and risk having to pay more the have the turbo fitted

My preference is for Bob to do the remap.

When Bob did his original map, he changed a grommet in one of the pipes that was restricting boost to 0.7 bar... might I be able to reverse that and temporarily fit a grommet that restricts the boost to safe levels? Not sure which pipe it was on as I couldn't see through the bonnet! ;o)

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
no brainer

the answer is a

i did the same and it wasnt an issue

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Waiting to find out how long a wait I have from Bob then will decide whether to fit the turbo now or not.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,572 Posts
S4U use JGM as far as I know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts