Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick swaybar question regarding my swapped 99' Forester...

Hey folks, quick question I was hoping someone could clear up:

I've already searched, and combed through the "SF5 ultimate all around low suspension" thread, and am left a little confused about this.

I have a 1999 Forester S, that has had it's engine swapped for turbo engine out of an 02' WRX.

From what I understand, a standard non-turbo Forester needs to use a front swaybar and endlinks made for a non-turbo GC8, because of the crossmember.

But what am I supposed to use for my swapped Forester, now that I have a turbo crossmember from a WRX? Would '02+ GD WRX swaybars and endlinks be what I need, or am I way off base here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My Forester currently has no front swaybar, as apparently it was mistakenly not reinstalled by the shop that did my engine swap, and I've failed my inspection because of it. My friend with a WRX is willing to lend me his stock front swaybar and endlinks until I can resolve this issue with the shop, so I need to know if they will fit or not.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Front swaybars on a swapped GC/SF are always a big discussion. You can use a GD WRX one but it will be too wide due to the extra track width of the GD chassis. Z1Auto I believe sells a Cusco front bar specifically for a swapped GC which will fit your SF fine. I opted to pick up an SF turbo specific Whiteline front bar for mine.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front swaybars on a swapped GC/SF are always a big discussion. You can use a GD WRX one but it will be too wide due to the extra track width of the GD chassis. Z1Auto I believe sells a Cusco front bar specifically for a swapped GC which will fit your SF fine. I opted to pick up an SF turbo specific Whiteline front bar for mine.
Mind if I ask what crossmember you're using?

Reading on the rs25 forums leads me to believe that a WRX wagon front swaybar would fit as well due to the narrower track, as well as using GC/WRX wagon endlinks.

I really hope the shop gets back to me to let me know why never mentioned to me that they didn't put a front swaybar on my car, or let me know what my options are.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is how things look underneath my car right now:

(sorry for the non-full links, I don't have enough posts to use the IMG tag or post URL's yet)

cfydata.com/forester/images/DSC01922.jpg

cfydata.com/forester/images/DSC01912.jpg

cfydata.com/forester/images/DSC01913.jpg

For whatever reason, I feel like I'm missing other stuff as well (besides the splash tray).

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Looks like you're missing the entire "subframe"/U brace for the front. What was actually supposed to be swapped overall?

Thats the rustiest knuckle, control arm, tie rod etc that I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bought an automatic Forester with rod knock for cheap, with the intention of just swapping the engine out for a WRX engine while keeping the automatic tranny.

The car was towed to a shop (that has done multiple Subaru swaps) that was near the seller's location, where they swapped the old engine/crossmember out for one out of an 02' WRX (along with the exhuast and related wiring).

How... bad is it that I don't have a front subframe/brace up front? I had a feeling it was going to be that, because the location where the sway bar should be seemed awful easy to get to.

As for the rust, yeah, I know. I plan on getting some aluminum GC8 control arms and replacing the tierods come warmer weather and put some POR15 on the knuckle when I put on WRX caliper brackets and rotors.

i have other pics here: cfydata.com/forester/

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Can anybody do me a favor and take a picture underneath their Forester so I can see where the front subframe should be? Or otherwise point me towards a picture of it?

Also, are there any other pictures I should take so you guys can help me figure out if I'm missing any other parts?

I am... fairly unhappy right now, as I just got this car back from the shop on Tuesday.

FML.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
The front subframe is not necessary. A lot of people with WRX/STis take them off as "weight savings" and the JDM STIs don't even come with them from the factory.

I am using the 04 STi front crossmember for my swap. I actually just bolted the SF turbo specific whiteline front sway to it Friday and it fit without issues, bushings and all.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The front subframe is not necessary. A lot of people with WRX/STis take them off as "weight savings" and the JDM STIs don't even come with them from the factory.

I am using the 04 STi front crossmember for my swap. I actually just bolted the SF turbo specific whiteline front sway to it Friday and it fit without issues, bushings and all.
Where did you order the Whiteline sway from? BSF15, right? Are you using the stock SF endlinks?

Depending on how much the shop wants to BS me about everything, I might end up having to order one (and even then, I still have to deal with not having any endlinks or bolts).

I really didn't want to have to to any of this until later in the year (when it's warmer), but I gotta pass inspection, after all.

You have pictures of it installed? Sorry for all the questions, just itching to get this all taken care of.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Where did you order the Whiteline sway from? BSF15, right? Are you using the stock SF endlinks?

Depending on how much the shop wants to BS me about everything, I might end up having to order one (and even then, I still have to deal with not having any endlinks or bolts).

I really didn't want to have to to any of this until later in the year (when it's warmer), but I gotta pass inspection, after all.

You have pictures of it installed? Sorry for all the questions, just itching to get this all taken care of.
I opted for the adjustable BSF15Z as I already have the 24mm adjustable rear and with the added weight ot the STi engine, I though I might want the front to go a little stiffer. If you need to order one, go through Import Image Racing. I price shopped pretty much any Whiteline vendor on Nasioc when I was shopping for mine and his price KILLED everyone elses.

As far as pics of mine installed, the subframe is still out of the car but I hope to have it reinstalled later this week. If you want a pic of it on the subframe not installed I can do that, otherwise later on. Let me know exactly what you would like to see.

Also, I am using Whiteline front endlinks. You should be fine to use your stock ones as they are the beam like ones instead of the "Z" shaped ones. I think it's safe to say the bushing in them would get one hell of a workout but they will work.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I opted for the adjustable BSF15Z as I already have the 24mm adjustable rear and with the added weight ot the STi engine, I though I might want the front to go a little stiffer. If you need to order one, go through Import Image Racing. I price shopped pretty much any Whiteline vendor on Nasioc when I was shopping for mine and his price KILLED everyone elses.

As far as pics of mine installed, the subframe is still out of the car but I hope to have it reinstalled later this week. If you want a pic of it on the subframe not installed I can do that, otherwise later on. Let me know exactly what you would like to see.

Also, I am using Whiteline front endlinks. You should be fine to use your stock ones as they are the beam like ones instead of the "Z" shaped ones. I think it's safe to say the bushing in them would get one hell of a workout but they will work.
Thanks for the info, I'll check out Import Image today.

If you could, could you take pics of the subframe itself, as well as pics of the stuff installed? I'm trying to show the shop what exactly is missing on my car.

The shop has told me that they're "working on finding a setup to send" me, so depending on how things go will determine what I end up doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts