Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Energy saving lightbulbs...:furious: e :furious: f :furious: f:furious: i :furious: n :furious: g :furious: useless. By the time they JUST glow I have already fallen down/tripped up/ walked into something/banged head etc :furious:
Pointless-waste of space- bring back the 100w bulb !!!

OK end of rant !

Brian

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Yep. The freaking warm-up period of those flipping things are far from tolerable. Do you guys still have incandescence bulbs available still, or have they been banished like they're trying to do with the petrol engines? :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
people are stockpiling incandescents ... my house is full of dimmers and they don't get on well with the energy saving toss.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,439 Posts
It was "Phoney Tony" that signed it away with no consultation with us Plebs.:huh:

Regards

AM

PS I agree with Brian they are absolutely useless.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
I have slow and fast start CFL, pay more for the fast start, the difference is (dare I say it) night and day. I would guess Brian that the York'i'e in you went for the cheapest?

I also have dimming CFL's where appropriate although they are (very) pricey.

Simon
(Using CFL's for over 15 years)

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't know there was a fast and slow one Simon, just got what would 'almost' fit the shades ! Nothing on the box indicates start up speed. Groan...again....

Brian

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Did they outlaw incandescents in the UK? I'm sure Kalifornia isn't far behind, time to stock up. We just replaced our front porch motion detector lights with CF bulbs and they SUCK, take way too long to warm up. The thing is, when you fumble for the keys to unlock the front door, you need light NOW, not in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,572 Posts
The ones I have give an OK light after 1 second then are fully bright after about 10 seconds.

They are perfectly fine for most applications but as pleiad7 says, they'd be wank on something like an outside light with a motion detector.

Can you still use halogen lights in the USA?

·
Registered
2002 SG XT Auto
3,491 Posts
The ones I have give an OK light after 1 second then are fully bright after about 10 seconds.

They are perfectly fine for most applications but as pleiad7 says, they'd be wank on something like an outside light with a motion detector.

Can you still use halogen lights in the USA?

LOL. I haven't heard the word WANK used in that way for such a long time. Made me chuckle. Well done.

p.s. I agree. These new bulbs are wank.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,439 Posts
Evening Brian,

You have hit a raw nerve, we live out in the sticks & it is very dark as opposed to villages & Towns.

One of the outside lights went this evening so, I went to change the bulb, it's a 100w & when I went to the shed to get a replacement, guess what??

I have none left>>>:icon_redface:

I went on the Net tonight to find .89p each plus packaging/post etc. Any ideas where to get old bulbs on line @ a reasonable price?

Brian, good post.

I don't like the low energy bulbs I have bought so far.

The Bedside light for instance, 10w (or whatever = 60 W) Nah, no way, even if it lights up quicker than the light given out is NOT as good as old bulbs.

Simon/Marky I hear what you say but I am not convinced with the stuff I have boufght so far.

Marky LED Lights, does this Technology work as good as old bulbs??

All I know is, I want to turn on a light and it works as quick as the old stuff.

Regards

In the Dark.:huh:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,683 Posts
I don't know what brand bulbs you guys use but all the lights in my apt (per the land lady) are CFL's, they don't have any delay and are plenty bright. I know the older first generations had their issues though. :huh:

·
Registered
'99 S-turbo
1,766 Posts
LED lights... it's the way forward
Damn right! My little Fenix torches, that I use for cycling, are about the size of a polo packet but put out more light than a 4cell maglight. Point one at the ceiling and the whole room is lit better than any energy saving bulb can manage.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
CFL = FTF
They are terrible with my dimmer lamps in my apartment. It's either off, on, or super annoying strobe/pulse light! :yell:

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
I have 12 downlighters in my new kitchen.. all LED. Expensive, but worth it. You can get varying tones of white too, personally I prefer the 'blue' white light, but the other half wanted it to look as normal as possible, so have a warmer type instead.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts