Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit: I guess it's more a question about sound quality, not installation.

Wife bought me my deck for Christmas. Plan on installing it tomorrow after I go get my soldering iron from work.

It's a Kenwood KDC-MP642U.

Right now, I only have the stock door speakers, tweeters, and the rear factory sub.

I hear tell that I am going to lose the use of the sub by installing the new deck. So, is my system going to sound better with the new deck giving more power to the other speakers, but no sub? Versus the low power and having the sub? That sub doesnt sound like it does anything anyways :)

I plan on installing my old Pioneer amplifier and 10" Rockford sub that has been collecting dust for years, but I may not install it until spring...

I "may" replace the front door speakers tomorrow with some Infinity or JL 2-way coaxials if I find a deal on boxing day. Will that help? I'm just worried about having no sub for months, even if Subaru's sub is crap.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
First, are your stock speakers the "premium" stock speakers? If so, they'll sound much better with the new deck, but not that much better because you'll loose the sub (it seems useless, but it does actually make a difference) Since you are going to have your dash apart, you might as well throw in the amp and sub now while you have it apart...it'll take another hour or two, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Just my two cents on the matter.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
How do the newer XT's power the stock sub? My 04 headunit had a separate plug just for the subwoofer, the ~07 headunit I got with aux input didn't have the sub output. I left it disconnected and it honestly doesn't sound any different at all, actually the new headunit puts out more bass without the subwoofer than the 04 headunit did with the stock sub.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are the "premium" speakers. I just wasnt looking forward to digging out that old dinosaur amp and figuring out what cables I needed to buy. It's my wife's old amp she got from her brother, lol. I think it's a Pioneeer GMH-50.

Not sure yet if I'm mounting it in the trunk or under a seat. So don't know how long of cables. I guess it will need to wait for another day, not boxing day shopping :icon_razz:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,798 Posts
Yes, you'll loose the rear cargo area subwoofer, but IMO, it really didn't add much to the system. When I upgraded my head unit, I opted for a Kenwood subwoofer mounted under the passenger seat. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found some Polk 6.5" db651's for $68 CAD on Boxing Day shopping! Regular $130. Already have them and probably will put them in tomorrow.

Uber deal. Guess that solves my problem :banana:

·
Registered
2004 fx
29 Posts
basically your HU would suffice... DSPs, iPod EQ, Hway sound.. etc... but with the 3 band parametric, you'll might be hoping for a bit more tweaking options. :icon_frown:

IMHO, you may opt for a separates rather than coaxials. since you can use your pioneer amp and RF sub, might invest in a good set of seps for the frontstage. the sub stealth installs are sick, may also want to do that to maintain cargo space.

also, try to deaden your front doors. it's a night and day difference. you can reduce the road noise and those pesky resonance. currently, am still building my system and using hertz MLK165 coupled to audison Lrx4.1k. the deadened doors really really produced kick- donkey mid bass. :woohoo:

hope this helps :Banane35:

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I opted for this HU for specific reasons,

1) price range about $200 CAD, no more
2) rear AUX
3) rear USB (I can't stand the sight of cables or iPods sticking out of my dashboard)
4) simple clean face, not loaded with buttons (radio presets, etc)

My options were limited when looking for the price range, and the rear USB is a must. And we had 3 Kenwood's prior to this, so it seemed a no brainer. I'm not an audiophile in the least, so sound tweaking options lacking isnt really anything to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts