Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation that came up today. Would appreciate feedback:

Local Quick Oil Change outlet was asked to change the oil and filter (filter was mine, OEM) on my 2013 Forester X. The tech was not familiar with Subarus apparently as (it became apparent when i drove away) that he had drained the transmission fluid, not the oil. When I returned after a 2 minute drive, they confirmed the transmission dip stick showed low/none. They drained the oil, refilled it and topped up the transmission fluid......with their version of Dex3 ATF.

If I were to demand they pay for a Subaru Service fluid exchange, they dealer is 2 1/2 hours away.

Sorta surprised topping up a full crankcase with 4+qts of oil did not register as a problem.

Do I have a big issue or nothing to worry about?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,994 Posts
@JR Kerr I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from another Oregonian! :biggrin:

I moved your post, from the thread you originally posted to, so you now have your own thread. :wink:

Overfilling the engine, anything over a quart can cause issues. The oil will find its way out, possibly doing damage. Assuming you don't see leaking, dripping oil. you should be good.

Normally, if the vehicle hasn't been driven too far. When the engine oil level is reduced to normal & the transmission ATF is refilled, you should be good.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: Natedog

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Wish I had a dollar for everyone that has reported the same issue you had. Eventually Subaru changed the transmission drain plug to a T70 Torx bit to reduce the number of times this occurs.

Their Dex III fluid should be fine for the trans. ERROR. Your car (2013) should use the Subaru ATF-HP. I thought your user details was for an 03.

If you have a CVT (I don't know) then definitely get it all replaced with Subaru CVT fluid.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only the oil filter was changed.
They drained the oil and refilled to correct level after I returned and the confirmed the error.
Topped up the AT with the Dex3 they have.

Biggest concern was the Dex3 as the book calls out Subaru ATF or Idemitsu ATF Type HP.
@Miker104 indicated the Dex3 was OK and I don't need to change the fluid.

Do you agree?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,213 Posts
Get them to document their screw up. If they don't file a small claims claim. You don't need a lawyer. The Dex will be no problem. Make sure the level is correct..engine running and in park. Engine needs to be hot.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,334 Posts
If I were to demand they pay for a Subaru Service fluid exchange, they dealer is 2 1/2 hours away.
If you think you can trust the quick change place to do it right the third time, save yourself the drive and have them order in Subaru ATF-HP and have them do another ATF exchange with the manufacturer's recommend fluid. Or order it yourself and have them reimburse you. That's the least they can do after their screw-up.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will pursue them paying for the correct fluid and swapping it myself. Don't want to tempt the odds any more than necessary.

I had them document and sign for their error. I am also going to notify their main office of the issue, putting them on notice. The local manager was professional and acknowledged the error.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,994 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Only the oil filter was changed.
They drained the oil and refilled to correct level after I returned and the confirmed the error.
Topped up the AT with the Dex3 they have.

Biggest concern was the Dex3 as the book calls out Subaru ATF or Idemitsu ATF Type HP.
@Miker104 indicated the Dex3 was OK and I don't need to change the fluid.

Do you agree?
DANGER!!!!

I thought your user profile said you had an 04. With a 2013 you definitely want Subaru ATF-HP or the Idemitsu ATF-HP fluid unless you have a CVT (I don't remember which year they came out) then you will definitely want the Subaru CVT fluid.

·
Registered
12 Forester Touring AT
107 Posts
We have a friend that has an independent car shop and when JiffXXXXX opened up across the street he was worried. Now he loves the number of drain plugs/oil pans he gets to replace. A new profit maker for him.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
50 Posts
If you think you can trust the quick change place to do it right the third time, save yourself the drive and have them order in Subaru ATF-HP and have them do another ATF exchange with the manufacturer's recommend fluid. Or order it yourself and have them reimburse you. That's the least they can do after their screw-up.
It would have to be a complete flush, though, or else he'll just drive it out of there with 20-some% Dextron III.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
Wish I had a dollar for everyone that has reported the same issue you had. Eventually Subaru changed the transmission drain plug to a T70 Torx bit to reduce the number of times this occurs.

Their Dex III fluid should be fine for the trans. ERROR. Your car (2013) should use the Subaru ATF-HP. I thought your user details was for an 03.

If you have a CVT (I don't know) then definitely get it all replaced with Subaru CVT fluid.

What? On the crosstrek’s and foresters, the T70 drain bolt is front differential. Not transmission.

Edit, Oi, seems to very mt vs at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Seriously this is why I change my own oil & transmission fluid etc. I don’t trust any of those quick lube places

1 - 14 of 14 Posts