Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i'm have a new up pipe fitted soon i thought i'd get the IC hose replaced and the y pipe and need a quick validation.

Is this the right set for a 99 STB?

Samco Silicone Turbo Hose Kit - Subaru Impreza GC8 WRX 1999-2000 | eBay

It quotes TCS526/WRX at the bottom which has thrown me as although it looks right i thought the right Samco code was TCS143?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Turbo 5MT
1,960 Posts
Looks right to me too although one set for the WRX has a slightly shorter IC feed pipe on side of the branch, about 1.5" but it's almost impossible to ascertain in a photo, even close up it's difficult unless you are comparing it to a correct model. Although this isn't a wonderful price for a set of Samco IC hoses, it isn't bad either and if you want to take the chance, some hose of the correct diameter, not necessarill Samco, and some inner aluminium pipe of the approprite diameter can be purchased later on to correct this. Having looked at the Samco and copy pipes, for the IC position and running the sort of boost we are, and the smaller 2L engine, the spurious pipes are fine, IMO. Given the choice again or next time round I reckon I'd save my money but anything is an improvement over the factory hard pipes particularly if work on the engine involves pulling the IC regularly. A little Vaseline or WD40 etc on the inside of the pipes and they come apart quickly and are a dead easy to re-install, unlike fighting with the OEM hard pipes.

I had a pal with highly tuned 96 STI or RA (2.5), I think, running a TD05 20G and a gazillion BHP that actually caused the Samco pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo inlet to collapse under full throttle, which caused all kinds of problems during the mapping session after the big blower was fitted. IIRC, the pipe actually got so compressed by the enormous vacuum created at that point that the only solution was to install an aluminium liner inside the silicone, which worked but it took ages to diagnose the issue in the first place. Not our problem though with the volume the S turbo and s/tb inhale. Your wallet, your choice.

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i have found cheaper, but unbranded and/or from Asia, which means a long wait and potential issues if they supply the wrong items.

The other item is this one, where some of the pipes are slightly different. So not sure whether it is the 00 WRX option or the 97-99 WRX option?

Samco Silicone Turbo Hose Kit - Subaru Impreza GC8 WRX 1997-1999 | eBay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts