Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 XT Sports 4EAT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, new to the forums and about to be the new owner of a Forester! I am pretty set on getting the XT model but I'm having a hard time finding differences between the two years I'm looking at.

Found a great 2007 with 67k miles and pretty much all the features available (leather, moon rooof, 6 disc cd player, tow package) which I was planning on buying assuming no issues on in person inspection. Then I found a 2005 with 85k but with a few less features (no moon roof or tow package). It is significantly less money though. Both appear to be in great shape inside and out.

Now what I'm trying to figure out is if the two years have any significant advantages or disadvantages that I should consider. I have heard there might have been an issue with the turbo in the 05s and they need to be replaced somewhere near 100k. Any truth to this? Are the engines identical? I do like the 07 appearance a bit more but that isn't a huge game changer for me. The tow package and hitch would be nice. Are any big differences between the two that I should consider or ask about before taking them for a test drive?

Thanks for any input!!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Turbos are the same on all XTs. Emissions system differs in that the '05 came with a catted uppipe, as opposed to the secondary air system on the '07.

·
Registered
2007 XT Sports 4EAT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbos are the same on all XTs. Emissions system differs in that the '05 came with a catted uppipe, as opposed to the secondary air system on the '07.
Cool thanks for the response. How many miles do the turbos usually last? Obviously not a deciding factor but good to know in general. Any big maintenance once they start nearing 100k?

I have no idea what the emissions stuff means. Is one better or preferred over the other?

·
Registered
2002 ES300
4,412 Posts
Catless up-pipes are much preferred. Around 100k, the timing belt will need replacing, regardless of model. The up-pipe and/or egt sensor on 2004/2005 models also generally start to fall apart and can ruin the turbo around 100k. But the savings on the older model may cover the cost of replacing the up-pipe. ... And I didn't think the turbos were really rated for towing. I personally would shy away from cars with a tow hitch. Who knows what they pulled. May have more piece of mind installing your own.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I'm still going strong at 134k on my stock turbo. I know another member on here who has over 200k on his.

·
Registered
2007 XT Sports 4EAT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys (and thanks mods for moving this to the proper sub-forum!). I'll definitely ask about what he has towed. I mostly just want to use it for a hitch mounted bike rack when I need the inside space for other people or camping gear.

I'm really leaning towards the 07 but now he's not answering the phone :icon_mad:

Any other weak spots that I should be looking for on the FXTs?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
The main weak spot with the XT is spotty or shoddy maintenance. The EJ turbo engines are finicky and require religious oil changes and a steady diet of premium gas. Hard to know where the previous owners cut corners, so it's always recommended to invest in a thorough pre-purchase inspection, including compression and leak-down testing if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts