Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic 4 speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 2013 Forester at the end of January this year . I notice that when it’s cold it starts really high idled. My friend said the sound it makes for the first few seconds makes him think of a car after a fresh oil change and the oil hasn’t got to where it is supposed to yet . The colder it is the harder the initial start sounds. Is this normal because honestly as I listen to it start I worry I’m going to blow a rod just starting it in cold weather . Thank you for any help you can give me with this .

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
58 Posts
It idles high when everything is cold in order to heat up the catalytic converter. I usually wait till the cat warm up is over and idle returns to below 1000 rpms before putting it in gear. Some people will just drive the car easily until the temp gets up to operating temperature, but I play it safe and let it warm a bit before driving at all.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,127 Posts
It should idle at1300+ rpm. It should not sound really for more than a few seconds. And noisy does not mean excessive. Yeally like any other car..although the subaru is just a tad louder. That's the way boxer engines are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So even though it sounds as if it may blow something those first few seconds it’s okay this is just normal . I mean yeah it’s those first few seconds that it sounds like it’s dry on oil maybe but it’s not my husband and our friend had me concerned I had just bought a car that was ready to blow up. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question if you please. My abs kicked in because they f the snow and ice. First thing was I heard a noise that made me think my break shoes had fallen off and something was just grinding . Then one wheel seemed to grab . The next day I got home my drive way was muddy again causing abs to kick in, again it felt like one wheel locked. After this I shut the car off and restarted it when I pushed on the brake pedal it at first went about half way but I just held it and then the pedal went to the floor. It wasn’t like the feeling of a broken brake line but it did concern me that the pedal went to the floor. Again I’m so grateful for the help I really love this car but I don’t want to ignore things causing harm .

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
783 Posts
First thing was I heard a noise that made me think my break shoes had fallen off and something was just grinding . Then one wheel seemed to grab .
This is normal. If one wheel loses traction the AWD system will activate its brake to force power to the opposite wheel with grip.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,127 Posts
So even though it sounds as if it may blow something those first few seconds it’s okay this is just normal .
I didn't say that. Boxer engines (especially older ones) are a bit noisier on startup. But you maybe need to get yours check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts