Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove 2020 Premium today and was pleasantly surprised how nice the drive was. I was expecting gutless but it was smooth and pretty responsive. I was comfortable and walked away impressed. They were so busy today I drove alone which I enjoyed. I then sat in Sport and noticed a difference between the x modes. Premium no mud, snow different terrains. Sport did.

Can you only get different x mode selections on sport and above?

Does the ‘17 have same smooth powertrain or different? I ask because I can save with certified.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
701 Posts
noticed a difference between the x modes. Premium no mud, snow different terrains. Sport did.

Can you only get different x mode selections on sport and above?
The difference between the two X-Modes is that 'Mud, Snow' disables VDC. You can get the same outcome by manually switching off VDC (just don't forget to switch it back on when on-road again).

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, regarding the power train, if I buy a ‘17 do they drive as nice? I believe horsepower a little less and transmission difference?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
1,782 Posts
I believe horsepower a little less and transmission difference?
Although the 2019/2020's have more horsepower than the previous generation, I recall reading that the previous generation had a slightly faster 0-60.
Unless you are looking at a 2017 XT (turbo) both the 2017 and 2020 have the TR580 CVT with fake shift points.

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not just test drive the '17?
Because yesterday was a mad house and I could barely find parking spot and got lucky to drive new one within 30 minutes. Didn’t want to sit around all Saturday when I wasn’t buying. I’m doing some things to my fun car first before buying Forester. Probably looking at just before June possibly. No extreme hurry.

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although the 2019/2020's have more horsepower than the previous generation, I recall reading that the previous generation had a slightly faster 0-60.
Unless you are looking at a 2017 XT (turbo) both the 2017 and 2020 have the TR580 CVT with fake shift points.
Thanks, interesting about less horsepower but quicker, wonder how? No rear AC vents in ‘17 but not end of world.

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After buying my original 32k Miata with only 14k miles for 18k I find it tough paying new car prices. New is definitely not that much better than gently used. My car is like new. Certified comes with really good warranty.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Thanks, interesting about less horsepower but quicker, wonder how?
Good question. Consumer Reports clocked 0-60 at 8.7 seconds on the 2017 and 9.2 seconds on the 2020. A couple other things to consider. The 2020 has Auto Start/Stop which some drivers find annoying. Also, the 2020 has a direct injection engine which may be prone to carbon buildup on the intake valves unlike the 2017's port injected non-turbo engine. On the other hand the 2020 handles better with the new global platform..

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
361 Posts
2020 weighs at least 150 lbs more. Also, think it has bigger wheels and more tire sidewall that will flex and give slower initial acceleration. I am not talking about anything major. Basically we are talking a half a second.

I tend to think like you. My dog will take the shine off any new car within a month or two, and my wife still smokes. I also find that buying used the price difference between different trims disappears mostly, and depreciation is greater the higher the initial price. You also pay less sales tax and none of the delivery and prep fees. It's amazing how good an older car can look after a $150 car detailing.

Having time to search for and take advantage of the best deal...priceless!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,438 Posts
the 19+ is the Global Platform. Read up on why you should buy this ve pre '19 ytear foresters. My 19 Crosstrek has the Global platform. Big difference. And the Global Platform in the Crostrek scored almost a perfect 300 score (299.3) on the tougher japanese tests. Ionly bought my '18 Forester bc I wanted an XT. Neither the '17 nor '19 will be speed merchants but they are certainly more than adequate.

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 19+ is the Global Platform. Read up on why you should buy this ve pre '19 ytear foresters. My 19 Crosstrek has the Global platform. Big difference. And the Global Platform in the Crostrek scored almost a perfect 300 score (299.3) on the tougher japanese tests. Ionly bought my '18 Forester bc I wanted an XT. Neither the '17 nor '19 will be speed merchants but they are certainly more than adequate.
Global platform changes what? I’ve watched plenty of reviews and after reading from lots here it just doesn’t sound like that much of a change. If I wanted speed I certainly wouldn’t look at Forester, just wondering about differences in driving. When I have time, I’ll drive a ‘17 and judge it myself. At the end of the day, I like saving money and buying new doesn’t do that.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Global platform changes what?
Here's what Consumer Reports said when road testing the 2019 with the new global platform:
"Ride and handling have also improved. The Forester is adept at absorbing road imperfections, making it one of the better riding SUVs in the category. And yet, it benefits from responsive handling with less body roll and quicker steering than the previous version when rounding corners."

·
Registered
2020 Forest Sport
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what Consumer Reports said when road testing the 2019 with the new global platform:
"Ride and handling have also improved. The Forester is adept at absorbing road imperfections, making it one of the better riding SUVs in the category. And yet, it benefits from responsive handling with less body roll and quicker steering than the previous version when rounding corners."
People still read consumer reports? I stopped long ago. They are pretty bad in many ways. They doc cars for silly things and miss on very important things. Example? They gave Miata top score on transmission when they’ve now had 5 revisions and tons of issues with low mileage cars.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium CVT
33 Posts
I like my 2017 2.5i Premium. The acceleration is sufficient for me. The CVT is smooth and responsive. The brakes are good. There is a little lean when cornering at speed, but I expected it and am OK with it. I had a couple driving situations where I had to swerve or turn quickly at some speed and the Forester did well. I am satisfied with the handling.
If you want to save a few $, test an '18 or earlier certified and see what you think. With the money I saved, I bought a bumper to bumper warranty and some accessories and was still money ahead.

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Touring CVT
100 Posts
Daughter has a 2015 Forester, I have a 2019 Touring. For the newer Forester, much better ride, huge interior (it feels much bigger), better tech (android auto and Apple carplay). I know she has eyesight, but no adaptive cruise control).

Like the man said test the other car. It's funny because when I got mine I kept trying to get my daughter to drive mine and she kept saying it was the same car. And I'm saying no its not.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
306 Posts
I am not buying a 2020 ... not interested in it...

I've got a 2014 Limited I bought brand new, summer 2013 (early year model). Overall I've been VERY happy and pleased with the Foz. The 2.5 N/A motor is plenty fast enough for me with the "standard" CVT. Note that the earlier years did NOT have fake shift points but DO have a shift feel when using the "L" mode of the gear selector or REALLY hammering the gas pedal. I do NOT have Eyesight system, do NOT have Nav, do NOT have Harmon/Kardon systems.

I've driven most of the model years between then and now - usually as a loaner/courtesy car when my Foz was getting maintenance or warranty or other repair work done.

Just got out of a 2020 Foz Sport and ... Meh. I like the adaptive cruise control from Eyesight, but the lane keep assist is annoyingly always pulling on the wheel and it feels like the power steering may be faulty. It's not. It's just correcting all the little inputs you get from the road and from being an ACTIVE driver... Also the lane keep assist keeps you to the center of the lane, but there are times I prefer to be to the "outside" edge of the lane - further right when in the right, further left, in the left. The pre-collision braking is annoying in that there are times when you need to get "a little closer" to that car in front of you to make a change in lanes. Or an emergency arises an you need to swerve. Lane keep and pre-collision braking fight you when you need to make that kind of move.

As mentioned by somebody above - the auto stop/start is annoying (at best!) and positively worthless! The split-seconds it takes to restart the engine could cause an issue if you need to dart across a busy road (making a left turn for example on a busy multi-lane road) in that there is a small hesitation that robs you of that confidence to use the power of the engine to make that turn.

The bigger interior feel is nice. I think some of it comes down to the front seats being an inch or so lower in the newer models from the earlier models. I did NOT measure this, just going by the seat of my pants (literally) and my view up and over the dash and hood.

Speaking of the hood - I'm not a fan of the "sexy bumps and bulges" that the new hood has as the slope and drop off of the front edge is more difficult to "see" when you're driving or parking so you are never 100% sure where the nose of the car ends. At least for me. Also, my short mom (4'10) that easily can get in and out of my 14 Foz had troubles with the 2020 Foz. Whether the side sill is higher or the seat is lower, she had to lift her foot more to climb in or out of the seat. She's got bad hips and a bad back and so it was more difficult for her.

The new center console is ... OK. I like the new dual mode X-Mode set up, as I do go on off-road outings where that kind of extra feature could be useful. However, the console is "higher" and so my large cup (that snugs down between the front cushions on my 14) slips around on top of the new console. And there is no place to plug in my USB for my iPod. I use an iPod for my songs as it's a better interface (for me) for loading music on a player and using in my car. I don't use an iPhone so no iTunes on my phone and I really don't like Tidal or most of the other streaming services... They STILL have commercials and breaks where some guy yaks about how he saw so-and-so in concert 20 years ago and it was the best night of his life.... Blah, blah, blah....

As mentioned by others, the new global platform rides and handles a lot better than the old, and there are other improvements. The fake shifts in the CVT are not great but you'll get used to them - and if you're coming out of a regular automatic transmission, you may not even realize you have a CVT.. Oh and the shift paddles (not sure which trim they start showing up on) can be a bit annoying and get in the way when using the wipers or signals... That will depend on where you keep your hands on the wheel and how long your reach is... I have longer fingers so I don't have to move my hand to flick the wipers or the turn signals. But on the 2020, I kept hitting the shift paddles. Ugh.

I'll be keeping my 2014 Forester for a long time. And the new, current generation just will not find a home in my driveway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts