Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member to the forum here. My father-in-law is sending us a 2006 Forester from Germany, where he lives. (He's convinced that this particular car has "heart and soul," and would rather send it across the Atlantic than have us buy one here in the states.)

I'm not sure if looking a gift Forester in the mouth is a good idea, but I have to know: are there differences between the Foresters sold in the US and those sold in Germany? I know very few details about this car - just its model year and the fact that it's light green; I don't even know if it's the turbocharged model.

Does anybody have experience importing a Subaru from Germany (or anywhere else)? It seems weird to be importing a car that's readily available here, and I have no idea what kind of extra taxes/testing etc. we might be in for.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I don't think it is possible. The USDM vehicles follow our strick crash safety laws where as most foreign cars do not. We have stronger heavier bumper beams and a few other items. I doubt it would be easy or cheap to import the car from Germany, in one piece anyway!

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
Is your Father-in-law connected?:icon_wink: There are several rather large cavities for storage of all sorts of things. :biggrin: I have no idea why he would want to do this. As for model differences they should be the same in basically every way unless it is a FSTI (not even sure if they sell them in Germany). You will probably have to pass an emissions test depending on your state.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
I thought the European Foresters ran the 2 litre engine.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Yup about 99% impossible to do this. Might be possible if you're in the military and bringing it back after extended deployment, or for temporary race use or if you're moving to the US you can keep a car here for 1 year. But basically theres no way to bring any current car into the US.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I'll try to convince him that it's not worth the trouble. Hopefully he'll send us the cash and we can get a US Subaru instead.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,470 Posts
Yup about 99% impossible to do this. Might be possible if you're in the military and bringing it back after extended deployment
I doubt that even that would work. Yes, there are tax and duty advantages (been there), but no exemption from US safety and emission rules.

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
Cost to ship a car across the ocean last I checked was about $2000-$2500. You can't import it if it's less than 25 years old anyway.

·
Registered
01 forester
15 Posts
NHTSA-2008-0036 says that you can import that forsert thru a registered car importing company. your best bet would be contacting one of those guys. and find out the details.

·
Registered
01 forester
15 Posts
theultimatecarcollection.com is the company that worked to get the 06/07 forester on the importlist.
They would have to change stuff over to USA standards. amber turnsignals, insterment cluster changed, ecu to show miles instead of km.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts