Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I just borrowed a SQV style blow-off valve from a friend, and installed it 3 days ago. The Psshhhhhhuuuu sound is interesting.
OK, here are the questions:

1) During the 3 days, I am not sure if the feeling is right but I noticed the boost goes up a bit faster than with the stock re-circulating valve (from the reading of the boost gauge). To be exact: with the same force applied on the gas pedal, the boost seems to be higher than before SQV installation. But the Max boost stays the same.
Anyone feels/notices the same thing? or just my own hallucination?? :icon_redface:

2) I also notice: the SQV starts to "blow off" even when the boost is still in negative (below zero). There's a adjustment screw on one side of the BOV, friend told me can try adjust the screw tighter to make it blow at higher boost. But have not got a chance to do the adjustment. Is is OK to drive with the current setting?

Any inputs would be appreciated.
EDIT: Engine/ECU is stock, besides the SQV-style BOV.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
You are okay to drive w/ the current setting but with the BOV you will have a drop in pressure and loss of performance vs. the stock BPV. Should still spool and build boost the same, though. I would put back on the stock BPV unless you don't care about the loss in performance b/c you like the neat sound then I would adjust the screw to make it tighter.

·
Registered
MY05 FXT 5MT
134 Posts
sirwilliam said:
You are okay to drive w/ the current setting but with the BOV you will have a drop in pressure and loss of performance vs. the stock BPV. Should still spool and build boost the same, though. I would put back on the stock BPV unless you don't care about the loss in performance b/c you like the neat sound then I would adjust the screw to make it tighter.
couldn't have said it better myself. if you really just wanna hear the wushing noise, just take the snorkel off the intake. the bov's do nothing but hurtcha in the long run. :(

but i will admit... first chance i have to pickup a cheap hks, i'm there. haha. i miss my noisy old wrx. :(

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Good reading about BOV's vs. recirc (bypass) valves: http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm

In essence, a BOV will only make your car run too rich between shifts and will have a negative effect on overall performance. If you're just after the noise, a short ram intake will produce almost the same kind of "psssshhhht" sound... :icon_wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts