Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anybody sells something like a 2'' extension that can go between the midpipe and a WRX/STi fitment axleback, instead of modifying the axleback itself. Would a local muffler shop be able to fab up something like that?

Also, with the axleback extended, how would the hangers attach to the flanges? Would they be at an angle tilting backwards instead of vertical?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And would all resonated midpipe and catless downpipe sound the same pretty much?

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or I could just get longer and stiffer hangers for the rear two and leave it like that. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,786 Posts
Just getting longer hangers works. Hanger length will depend on the exhaust.

Stan

·
Registered
98 Forester Se
29 Posts
I ran into the same problem when I went to fit an 04 wrx spt onto my 91 legacy ss, although the gap was about 5-6''. A muffler shop should be able to fab you up a short extension piece, but I'd recommend going to a reputable shop and be prepared to cough up the money for quality work (albeit a small piece), to ensure no exhaust leaks.

Otherwise maybe another forum member nearby has a welder that could help you out for beer and pizza!

If it were me though, and you didn't mind the muffler being slightly sunken into the rear bumper, I'd go for just using longer hangers.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that's what I will do. I've had kartboy hangers on my previous car before and I didn't notice any difference in NVH. But I've read somewhere that it does increase NVH due to the stiffer material.

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this?? Should I just use two for the muffler flanges, or get one for the midpipe as well?

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
There will be much more added noise from the exhaust itself :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5MT
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol actually the axleback I got was a Blitz Nur Spec, the seller told me it was an R, but after some research it's actually an S.

It sounds quieter than the TurboXS I took off...

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
I am so done with exhausts LOL. I'm putting the STi axleback back on, screw the restrictions. I'm not even that old or anything.. LOL.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I am so done with exhausts LOL. I'm putting the STi axleback back on, screw the restrictions. I'm not even that old or anything.. LOL.

Stan
I'm with you, I don't ever see myself changing out the STI axleback. I'm not that old either, I bought the foz to be a sleeper and I'm keeping it that way. Besides wind noise is enough to deal with.:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts